Chapter 17: The Third Challenge

Start from the beginning

I'm still thinking of a plan.

-H ❤

I let the ink set for a moment, then fold it when it's dry and cast an enchantment on it so it will find its way to Draco.

I can do this, I tell myself. I watch my hands shake and feel beads of sweat form on my neck and forehead.

"Your attention, please," McGonagall announces into her wand, which has magnified her voice again. "Today, if you haven't heard already, is the third and final challenge of the first annual Battle of the Highest. Would my remaining competitors stand?"

I rise slowly run my seat, knowing that Draco was doing the same. I watch as people around me look up at me from their seats. I swallow.

"Please take this time," McGonagall continues, "to acknowledge them. Pay them respect, wish them luck. This task has been proven to be extremely difficult, as it is to separate our lovers."

My jaw drops in shock. No, this can't be! We have to figure out a way! Me and Draco...we can't part!

"No!" I scream, and everyone turns their attention to me as I descend the stairs of the Gryffindor bleachers. "Listen to me now Draco while we still have a chance of living." At this the attention moves to the Slytherin bleachers where Draco is still standing nervously.

"I'm not letting this happen. I've listened to you, and I'm thinking of tactics, even though I have no knowledge of what this challenge is. I just - I just want you to know that I love you, Draco." I watch as Draco starts to descend the stairs of the Slytherin bleachers, making his way across the arena to me. Just as he's several meters away I feel hands grab hold of my biceps and I start to be dragged backward.

"No!" I cry. "Let me go! Let me say good-bye!" But they don't listen. I struggle with all the energy I've got trying to break from their grasp but it's no use. I watch as Draco runs forward to help me but McGonagall steps in front of him, and I'm dragged out of the arena.

*DRACO----------------------------------------------

"Professor, let me pass," I say as McGonagall blocks my path. She shakes her head.

"I must obey what the Ministry is going to do, Mr. Malfoy."

"But I have - I have to say good-bye."

"I'm sorry." She walks away just as the doors of the arena close.

*HERMIONE---------------------------------------------

"Is this your idea of a challenge?" I ask harshly through tears. "This is how you're breaking us apart?"

"The tournament hasn't even started yet," says the man, and I recognize him as the one that Draco sat beside at lunch.

I stand there helplessly. I'm doomed. We're doomed...

I feel something wash over me - it feels as if someone threw a bucket of cold wind in my face. I look to see the man with his wand out.

*DRACO--------------------------------------

The woman that had sat beside Hermione at lunch walks up to me.

"Mr. Malfoy," she says. "I need to explain some things to you about this challenge.

"It has been designed specifically to you and Miss Granger, and has never been performed during our tests. If you just want to get it over with right now then we will start, but it will be extremely difficult. I can tell you what you're supposed to do, but it's the opposite of Miss Granger's task. Are you willing to hear?"