Chapter 2: The Pack

" So how did we do? "

Austin ask as me and Jesse walk up. Austin was the second person to join our pack, he's been with us for six years and I'm proud to have him, he works hard but also is playful and knows how to lighten the mood. Not to mention he's attractive as hell, then again nearly all wolves around our age are.

If you are wondering I'm 19, usually our pack members are young, the oldest we have had is a twenty six year old but she found her mate and now she's gone.

" You and Jesse did fairly well, I'm very impressed but Varnon you need to learn to stand stiller, I could hear you shuffling around the whole time. "

I tell him and he nods. Varnon is the newest member of our pack, he's also the shyest and youngest. He's only 15, although he looks older, I can tell he's been abused in his pack by the way he's always tensed and ready to pounce. His hands are always balled into fist by his side and his blonde hair seems to serve as a shield over his face, so that we can't see his expression.

"  Anna, I could smell your scent a little so try to get more mud on you next time. "

I tell her.

" Maybe I can just borrow some from that chocolate cake standing next to you. "

She smirks looking at Jesse who playfully glares at her.

Anna is the same age as Jesse, who is 18 and Anna has been with us nearly two years now. Her and my sister are best friends.

We hear a howl in the distance and everyone stops moving, listening intensely. Except for Varnon who jumps at the sudden sound and then shrinks back embarrassed.

" We better get moving. "

I tell them and we all get our one bag that we each carry, then we put out the fire. Us girls go behind the trees and take off our clothes, putting them in our bag and then shifting into a wolf and when we hear the guys growl this signals that they too are in wolf form and it's okay for us to come out without being flashed.

We start running at full speed, whooshing through the trees as silent as we can, everyone follows me, unaware of where we're going and just enjoying the thrill, the thrill of running with the wind in your fur, the thrill of trying not to get caught, and the thrill of being free. Yes we are a pack but we don't ever stay in one place and we don't have any rules, other then having to respect everyone in the pack, in fact I wouldn't even be the Alpha if it weren't for the pack members.

The pack started as a pack where no one had titles and without titles that also meant no mind link because there was no Alpha but Jesse and several others said that the mind link would help us tremendously sense a lot of other packs are out to destroy us. We all voted and the next thing I knew I was the Alpha and it's been like that ever since, of course if someone wanted to they could ask to be voted to be the Alpha but no one has.