e + w

AU: At a certain point of your life, your vision is the shade of your soulmate's eye color. The color will fade away once you meet them. 

My clock hissed at me to wake up. Unwillingly, I got up and took a quick glance at myself in the mirror. My hair was sprawled all over my face, something I'd have to fix with gel later. I grabbed the first articles of clothing I saw and ran to the bathroom only to see it occupied. 

"Hurry up!" I tried to scream. I could hear my sister let out an exasperated huff.

"Just hold on Emmett," she told me. "Let me get my shirt on first."

"Ah, gross." I spat. "Spare me the details." She immediately opened the door, her blonde hair running wildly as she slapped me with the end of her towel. I threw my hands in the air, already angry enough. Even though she was the oldest, she stuck her tongue out at me as she sashayed proudly. I rolled my eyes. 

As I finished, I made sure to put a tiny slab of gel in the back of my head. I didn't want to look like I had to run in the rain to get to school, but I didn't want to look like I didn't care about my hygiene either. I wore a black shirt with its words decorated in a fiery font, one of my favorites. For some reason, I felt a little more confident then I ever did. I wanted to make sure others knew it, too. 

Once I reached school I spotted one of my good friends, Ryan. He waved at me as I got to the sidewalks, waving back at him to be polite. He runs to me as soon as I take off my helmet, placing my skateboard safely on the rack.

"Dude!" He shrieks happily. "Guess what happened?" 

With Ryan, anything could be exciting. I tried to plaster a supporting smile, hoping he didn't see right through it. 

"Layla's vision changed, and guess what she's seeing?" He asked me. "Brown!" 

Ryan's eyes conspicuously dilated as he shouted out the color. Layla McBriare was a beautiful mystery. She only ever confided with the girls in her 5th Period class,  and even those girls thought she was too precious to be exposed. She was always kind, and her flowy white hair made practically anyone drool as she stood in the wind. I couldn't lie, even I have had feelings about her for the tiniest moment, but those feelings have disappeared. Sure, she was nice and pretty, but that was it. She was tasteless. 

"Congratulations," I told Ryan genuinely, "but I have brown eyes too, what if I'm her soulmate?" 

Ryan's smile faded, but quickly reappeared when he realized that I was only joking. He let out a small laugh.

"You got me there, buddy." He teased as well. 

"Besides," I added, "we're only 17. I have plenty of time, I don't want to waste my time on something as time-consuming like love." I pout my lips and make a kissy face. 

Ryan nodded understandingly, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Are you saying you're in love with me?" 

I quickly took his hand off of my shoulder, clacking my tongue as he laughed hysterically. "Well, I gotta go. Class is starting soon." Ryan said to me. I nodded at him as he averted his attention from me to the entrance. I took off behind him. 

---------------------------------

I took off as quickly as I could after school, trying to go faster every time I thought I was going too fast. I didn't want to be yelled at by my mom again, those lectures took forever to finish. Suddenly as I was passing through street by street, big, bold letters caught my eye. 

HAROLD'S DOUGHNUTS*

LIMITED TIME ONLY: BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!

I smiled at myself. It had been awhile since I've eaten a doughnut, and I guessed my mother wouldn't mind if I bought her one as well. I made sure I left my things carefully outside and entered the store, trying to be as gentlemen-like as possible. In a New York minute, the aroma of fried dough and sweet icing came to me. People behind the counter looked as if they hadn't stopped working since 9 AM, sweat pouring from their foreheads and their hands hastily wiping it off, making sure it didn't land on the food.