Don't Cry Mercy

*Present*

Cassie stood on the balcony of the compound, looking down on the all dressed up mass. They were dancing, illuminated by the sparkling lights. All of this was screaming glamour, wealth and secret.

She remembered why she loved New Orleans. It was the perfect place for vampires like her. They could use the tourists as personal blood bags and no one would even notice when someone walked around spilled with blood, think it was a tourist attraction.

And of course she loved the culture. The music, the food, all the languages spoken. Magical was an understatement.

The vampire needed a break from her life on the run. She felt the urge to built herself a home but someplace where she could stay as long as she wanted.

Cassie dressed up quite well herself. She wore a midnight-blue dress with simple but expensive jewelry. Her blonde hair was tied up in an elegant bun. The light golden make up was matching her bracelet and necklace. Small crystals attached to the skirt of her dress were catching the light nicely whenever she moved.

The party was more of business than fun for her. Although she didn't want to catch any attention, she was keen on knowing who was around the city. And who was in charge of the supernatural beings.

Know your enemy.

That's what she learned from the Mikaelsons.

Her eyes scanned the mass again when someone caught her gaze. Her heart skipped a beat.

A century has passed since she saw the most beautiful chocolate eyes. Last time they were full of sadness and disappointment. She still felt the pain when she thought of it.

It seemed like he changed. The eyes that always gave her loving and worshipping gazes were now cold and distant. But one thing will always stay the same. The glimpse of hope. Even though everyone including his family called him pathetic for sticking to redemption.

She felt a pinch in her heart when she noticed how attractive he was. His suit fitted his strong body perfectly. And this face... made to shatter hearts. His hair was now cut short. She could still remember how it felt to run her hands through it.

Why was he here? Why was she damned to see the family that destroyed her life again? The man that took her love...

Her whole body tensed but no one of them could break the eye contact. It was like the world stood still for a moment. A moment where they again went through everything that happened between them.

„A beautiful, but uninvited lady. I'm torn between my morals."

The voice of the man standing next to her released her from the numbness. The moment took her so much out of reality that she didn't even hear someone stepping next to her. She noticed that she almost broke the wood of the balustrade.

„A gentleman would give a lady new in town the chance to socialize."

A smirk plastered on his face. His pearly white teeth were a strong contrast to his dark skin.

Cassie suddenly felt the urge to punch this grin out of his face.

„We hadn't had the pleasure I think. Marcel Gerard."

He took her hand and kissed the back of it lightly.

She remembered the name from Elijah's tales. He was like a son to Niklaus. The Original saved him from his brutal father. Interesting. History repeating.

„Cassandra Grey."

„You are Elijah's girl, right?"

A bitter laugh escaped her mouth.

„Well, you seem to be quite misinformed. I'm no ones girl."

She took the glass of champagne from his hands, turned and shifted away from him to the stairs. His eyes widened in surprise and amusement.

„Quite the confident one, huh?"

The blonde vampire just smiled silently.

„I like women like that...maybe I could invite you the something a bit more...personal."

She glanced over her shoulder. Her voice became sarcastic.

„Darling, I feel attracted to man. Not to little boys attached to daddy's leash."

It seemed to hit him right in a soft spot. But she heard him laugh when she went on walking. At least he was humorous.

When she shifted her gaze to look for Elijah he was nowhere to be found.

Cassie sighted. And now the peace and safety she wished for was gone. The Mikaelsons always meant trouble and death.