Pounding Questions

Note: Rewritten but not triple checked for spelling and grammatical errors. If you see one feel free to comment

"Ana, what a pleasure it is for you to finally join us!" Loraza De Reciveccii cheered sarcastically.

"Happy to be here." Ana smiled back in spite. She completely ignoring the rude remark, deciding instead that other things held more importance. She didn't seemed to mind Loraza's distaste.

There were a few moments of awkward silence before anyone made a move. It was like a wild Wild West  stand still, fingers poised at the triggers still tucked snug into holsters. Loraza was the first to shoot. Grabbing me, she pulled me to her chest and turned me to face the grinning Ana like a shield. She snaked her lanky arms around my waist and rested her chin on my shoulder.

"Isn't she a jewel?" She purred into my ear. I wanted to push her away, to escape from her clutches but I was still frozen solid, watching through helpless eyes.

"Yes, she is! Quite beautiful." Ana sighed as if envious. Which, I had to admit, was absolutely ridiculous. She looked as if she had fallen straight from heaven. Like a golden ray of sunshine, she exuded this golden energy. It was blinding. There was no possible way she could ever be jealous of my looks. So, I thought to what I had that she could want.

"Don't you just want to eat her right up? This flawless skin begs your teeth to just bite hard, don't you think? And that delicious smell! Truly intoxicating!" Loraza spoke lowly, her lips touching my bare shoulder where my sleeve didn't cover. I suddenly was struck with a spine crushing fear. It grounded me, shattering any preconceived notion that I had any idea what was going on. "I bet she would taste unbelievable! Red really is her color, isn't it? Imagine her painted in blood as the life drains from her beautiful brown eyes."

Ana simply stood there watching me hungrily as Loraza nipped at my skin. I could feel drafters rather than teeth, filling her mouth and scrapping along my neck. I knew if she really did bite me, I would probably bleed out quickly. I was too paralyzed to move. I couldn't even turn my head to tell Kana with my eyes how frightened I was. She wasn't saying anything, wasn't interjecting to the odd scene playing out on the loft. And her inaction made me uncomfortable.

I thought Loraza was going to kill me. I felt the tension in her jaw as she got ready to chop down. But suddenly Kana made her long awaited intervention, her small voice becoming as big as Dominik's.

"No!" Kana barked, before yelling something in what sounded like French. I didn't understand what she said or why it had taken her so long to say it.

I had heard of cannibals before, from one of the children in town when I myself was just a kid. But I had never believed in them. Never in my life had I expected to meet one face to face. I had always thought it was just some story a crazy old man had made up to scare people away from his property or to get some peace and quiet. But hearing Loraza talk the way she had, it made me realize the stories were true. People eat people. I shuddered, my spine played like a piano by brutal chill after chill.

When Kana was done yelling at Loraza, she threw herself back as if I were a cobra ready to strike, as if I were about to bite her. Turning around I found her stunningly wide eyes staring at me with bewilderment. In that instant she looked so small. I wasn't sure why but the big lady I had been introduced to before, now seemed humbled down to size.

"I see." She whispered in disbelief before straightening herself up. She even tugged at the collar of her white suit, bringing it back into place around her breasts.

The fear that had taken over me was gone as quickly as it had come.

"I told you to leave her alone." Ana laughed knowingly. "Her being Kana's date should have been reason enough."

Shooting her a murderous glare, Loraza came back to stand before me. This time she held no ulterior motive, no hostility, no control over my movement. I was free to reach my hand out and stop her from touching me. And did exactly that.

"Did I ask for your input?" She sighed past me. "I know I screwed up."

"Id say. What would you have done if you had hurt her? You really think you'd leave here with your life." She laughed coldly. It was loud, a blood curdling howl of sadistic amusement. I had absolutely no idea what was going on but she suddenly didn't seem as angelic as before.

With an irritated hiss Loraza turned her attention to me. "Rozalina, I'm sorry for playing with you like that. Were you scared?"

Her expression was soft, apologetic. I found so much vulnerability where I hadn't before. She seemed legitimately scared. It made me wonder what Kana had said to her.

"You didn't." I lied, faking a small little smile that I knew didn't reach my eyes.

"Well, I'm still sorry." She frowned. What had Kana said to her? The question plagued me like a gnat zooming around my head. I nearly asked, nearly opened my mouth and let out all the words and questions filling my mind.

None of this made sense! We're they cannibals or was she just trying to scare me? What could Kana possibly have said to make her apologize with such sincerity?

I had so many questions but I knew I shouldn't ask any of them! I had no right. I had no right to ask about their personal lives. But it was killing me inside. All of the confusion was breaking me bit by bit! The longer I sat on the questions in silence the worse it got. Long before I had met Loraza De Reciveccii this had been building, pounding on the back of my skull like a mallet trying to squash a watermelon. It had been eating away at me slowly. Pounding and pounding until finally-"I have a question."