Chapter Thirteen: Dance Partner, Part Two

I placed the boxes next to my bed and rose to walk to the door. Finding it locked as usual, I knocked lightly and waited for a butler to open it. Today it was a younger man, maybe only a few years older than me.

"Your breakfast should arrive shortly, ma'am."

"I'm not hungry," I replied.

He looked confused and I quickly explained why I needed him.

"Do you know what Demetri has planned?" I asked.

"Oh... Um.."

The man looked slightly scared, as if he was afraid he might not tell me what I wanted to hear.

I waved my hand and shook my head. "Never mind, I'll just find out myself."

Before he could act, I had pushed past him and into the corridor.

"Miss!" the butler ran behind me, but I fixed him with a deadly stare, stopping him dead in his tracks.

Grinning to myself, I stalked into the room where I'd had breakfast with Demetri. Before I could even get out a word, there was a guard standing before me, a gun trained on my face. Over his shoulder I could see the confused faces of a group of people sitting around the table. It seemed I had walked into a meeting of sorts. And at the head of the table was Demetri. Perfect.

"Go back to your room," the guard said. "Or I'll use this."

I almost laughed. It was clear that the guard was just as scared of me as everyone else in this house was. "Demetri," I said, turning towards him. "I need to talk to you."

He nodded to the people at the table and slowly stood. "Excuse me for a moment."

He looked furious when he stomped up to me and grabbed me roughly by the arm. He practically dragged me down the hall and into my room. He slammed the door behind himself and ran a had through his hair, frustrated.

"I'll kill James for this. "

I could only assume that James was the unfortunate soul who was supposed to be guarding my door. He started pacing and without looking at me said, "what do you want Parker? I was in the middle of--"

"What are those for?" I asked, pointing to the boxes.

He stopped and looked at me again. "I meant to explain it to you this evening. There's no need to be impatient Parker."

I felt like a child being scolded and it made me angry, particularly because he was right. I wasn't a very patient person. "We'll, you're here. Might as well tell me now."

He sighed and waked to the edge of my bed, where he sat down. "Tonight in the city, there's going to be a ball. The rich and the famous will be there, all to celebrate some new charity for children in Africa or some stupid new age thing."

"You want me to go to a ball with you?" I asked, confused.

"There will be werewolves there. Werewolves who plan to kill a lot of people."

"I don't understand. Why are you taking me?"

"Some of my people were.. Listening in on a meeting between a few of your people."

I sat down on the bed, interested.

"Adam is looking for you. He doesn't know that you're here with me."

Multiple feelings hit me at once. I didn't know whether to be happy that Adam was trying to find me.. Or if it scared the hell out of me.

"If you're there, it will prove as a distraction long enough for me to-"

"You want me to help you kill werewolves?"

"Yes, Parker. I do."