Chapter-1

A/N My sophomore year of high school writing makes me cringe. But enjoy if you decide to read anyways. It does get a lot better i can say that much.

Chapter-1
I hate spiders, hate probably not being a strong enough word actually. These thoughts creep through my mind when I wake up and see a spider crawling the wall, near my windowsill. Why does it have to be my wall? Out of all the walls he could've chosen he chose mine (on instincts is how I assume it's a he). Why spider why? The sun shines in through the open crack of my curtains forcing me out of my cozy bed and exposing me more to the possible dangers of this small yet potent creature. Did you know you can die from certain spider bites?

I let out a small groan pulling the covers down and off of me, my skin becoming exposed to the cold air. Goosebumps immediately appear all over my body, the hair on my arms spewing up to resemble the needles of a porcupine. Realizing my body yearns once again for the warmth of a blanket, I nuzzle back into mine.

Mornings are the epitome of suck. Yes suck, like suck my- No, no your first impression of me should be a good one, right? Well anyways here's what I believe in the certain topic I like to call sleep, it is, in all simplicity, ones only escape from life. Or my escape at least. That's why sleep and I are one. Sleep is me, I am sleep, we are one. This is just ONE of the many reasons I treasure it so dearly, because it allows you to momentarily take a literal pause and set everything that is not particularly amazing in life, aside. The worst part is the waking up. At first it's like being born again. You're a clean slate, memory of nothing. Then the memories come flooding back, and if you're like me you're left feeling regret and an uncomfortable ache in the pit of your stomach because your life's not rose petals and beautifully filled meadows.

A loud thump comes from behind my bedroom door and grows louder when I ignore it. My ears throb at the enhanced sound because of the time of day. It's too early to be yelled at.

''Amethyst, get up you're going to be late for school! '' My grandpa yells from outside my door. I can tell by the rasp in his voice and the way his words slur that he's either drunk or hungover. The sound of my name coming from his mouth makes me cringe. I hate my name, it's so awkwardly strange. Unique yes but strange. I mean who in their right mind names their child Amethyst. At least my parents meant well since my name is at least the name of a precious stone. Slowly and nonchalantly I turn to look at my clock.

7:30.

''Crap!'' I yell to myself realizing that my body completely ignored five minutes and just decided to sleep for an extra hour. I literally have ten minutes to be out of the house if I don't want to be late for school again. I rush towards the closet to grab my clothes. Humming to myself I scan through all the clothes hanging in my closet and finally decide I don't have time to handle all the trouble that comes with putting on a bra. I mean putting it over your shoulders and trying to get it hooked from the back and then trying to get the straps comfortable. To much trouble so I settle for a loose sweater and leggings. Simply comfortable. I rush to the bathroom and put my hair up in a messy bun. I brush my teeth and run towards the direction of the kitchen.

My grandpa is passed out on the couch snoring with his mouth wide open, a soiled under-shirt stuck to his filthy body. His arm dangles off the couch, beer in hand, as the television runs. Typical. I assume my grandma is asleep since it is her day off at work.
I've lived with my grandparents since my parents passed away. I was eight at the time and I am now a seventeen year old girl, almost eighteen, getting through my senior year at Tyler high school. Does life since my parents death suck? Yes. But, I am however grateful that I had immediate family that took me in. Otherwise, I could have ended up in a foster home who knows where. Those kids definitely have a sucky life. I feel I have to look at life from the positive side and not the negative.