004. apples

CHAPTER 4,
(   apples.   )

         Elise stared at the various packages of food stashed in the vending machine, debating whether or not she should buy something

     Elise stared at the various packages of food stashed in the vending machine, debating whether or not she should buy something. The choices ranged from doritos to cookies, all unhealthy but tasty. Her stomach grumbled hard and loud, reminding her that she hadn't eaten since the eggs she'd had last night.

"Are you gonna buy something or are you just gonna stand there?"

She jumped, startled at the sudden voice. Turning around, she saw Penetrator Chris, sharp eyebrows raised expectantly.

Elise gaped, unsure of what to say. She shuffled her feet awkwardly, staring at the checkered tiles of the school floor. "I wasn't going to buy anything."

Chris didn't look convinced. "Really? Then, what were you doing?"

"Just looking."

He furrowed his eyebrows and pursed his lips. "Just looking? Is that what you always do? You just look?" When he was met with silence, he continued. "Well, other than that time at the party when you shoved a ton of bags of chips into your mouth like you'd been starving for a year."

For once, Elise didn't have a response. She had nothing to say. Chris sighed, slipping the arms of his backpack off of his shoulders. Unzipping it, he pulled out his lunch box. He opened it and began to rummage through it. "You like tuna sandwiches?"

Surprisingly, Elise chuckled. "Ew, gross. No thanks."

He looked up, his eyebrows raised and eyes narrowed as if he were trying to call her bluff. She dead-panned. "What? I actually don't like tuna." She scrunched her nose up in disgust. "It smells weird."

Chris shrugged before taking out an apple. Elise nodded hesitantly. "I like apples, I guess."

He smiled, extending his arm to give her the fruit. "Good. Eat it."

She took the apple into her hands, staring at it unsurely as she began to toss it back and forth. "Did you know that it takes about thirty-six apples to make one gallon of apple cider?"

Chris pulled his dark eyebrows together in confusion. "No, I didn't and I don't care." He walked closer to the brunette and crossed his arms. "Elise, you're supposed to eat the apple, not tell me irrelevant facts about it."

"Sir, yes sir," she mocked, bringing her hand up to salute to him, managing to crack a smile on his face. She brought the apple up to her lips, and sunk her teeth into the fruit slowly. Chewing, she moaned jokingly. "Ooh, yummy. Gotta love apples."

"Just shut up and eat it."

Elise nearly choked on the apple, erupting in giggles at his harsh bluntness. Chris joined in, his face lighting up as their laughs echoed down the hallway. After calming down, Elise took several more bites of the apple. "Happy now?"

Chris hummed, pretending to think as he rubbed his chin. "Not quite."

She looked at him quizzically, stopping in mid chew. "Why not?"

He leaned forward, a smirk playing at his lips. "I mean, I'm happy, but I'd be happier if you gave me a kiss."

Elise groaned. "Ah, there's fuckboy Chris. Almost forgot he was in there for awhile."

"So, I'll take that as a no?"

"Yes," she said, a matter-of-fact tone about her voice.

He snapped his fingers. "Aw darn. But hey, at least I tried."

Elise laughed, a wide grin spreading across her face. Chris smiled as well, feeling oddly content with her.

Soon enough, they were forced to part ways and go back to class, bidding goodbye and sending each other cheeky smiles.

As Elise walked back to english, she decided that apples were now one of her new favorite foods.