Chapter 20 - Feeling of Betrayal

The rain had stopped when Natsu and the others left the lodge to search for Lucy. No one was on the streets, every single house empty, either burnt to the ground or halfway there. There was only bodies, smoke and them.

        Erza walked in front of them, her motion slow and careful. They could hear laughing in the far distance, but it wasn't clear if they were a man or woman. Natsu and Gray followed close behind her, on high alert, so when Erza stopped in her tracks and head whipped towards an alleyway, they jumped into a fighting position.

       She held up a hand, walking in between the buildings. Natsu watched her feet move, one step in front of the other as she leaned down, seemingly identifying something on the ground. He followed after her, Gray right beside him and they peeked around the building, finding Erza leaning over one of Tally Raid's contestants. 

      Natsu recalled her name being Zenith Maryland, the one who had almost killed Lucy. She laid on her side, facing toward Erza but neither Natsu or Gray could see her face, which the red head was leaning over now. From where he stood, Natsu could tell her hands were burnt but her body seemed unharmed other than that.

       Suddenly, the laughter was above them and they looked up to find Ruby on a small hill. He stared down at them, his eyes sparking with life. His entire mouth was covered in blood, dripping down his chin that made dark red splotches on his shirt. He turned and ran down the hill, disappearing. 

      Erza was on her feet in seconds, running up the hill at full speed, Gray following after her. Natsu glanced down at Zenith, her breathing shallow and a mark was carved into her forehead but he didn't pay any attention, just glad she was alive. He followed after his comrades, coming up the hill to find the two of them standing in a pile of bodies.

      They were stacked upon each other, men and woman mixed, some children and elderly's could be seen as well. There wasn't enough for them to be seen over the hill but there was plenty for Natsu to be horrified. He came up beside Erza, Gray on her other side as Ruby laughed, dancing around the pile like it was a campfire. 

       Nothing appeared from behind it, his entire body covered in blood. His blonde hair was slicked back. He held a bottle of liquor in his hand and began dumping it on top of the pile. If he noticed them, he didn't say anything as he grabbed a match from his pocket, lit it and set the villagers on fire. 

       It flew high, smoke drifting into the dark sky that was covered by remaining clouds from the downpour. He drank the rest of the bottle, throwing it in with the bodies once it was completely empty. He spread his hands out, smiling at his masterpiece. "We are the Kings and Queens of Fiore!" Natsu couldn't tell if he was drunk, insane or both. He chose the latter as Nothing grabbed Ruby with one arm, twirling both of them around. 

      Natsu could feel Erza and Gray tense when a laugh sounded behind them. All three of them turned to find Lucy standing behind them, the machete she had used in her and Natsu's fight clenched in her right hand, blood dripping from the blade. 

     She had been sprayed with blood, not poured like Nothing and her bare arms and legs were covered in dry and wet red liquid. Her dress seemed more tattered than earlier, the pink skirt ripped at the bottom all around, becoming strands of fabric. The black corset remained the same and her bare feet were bleeding from the rough concrete and glass that had littered them. Her blonde hair was let loose, having finally come undone and it was damp, making the strands parted and hanging around her head like a mop.

     The fire reflected in her brown eyes as she looked at all three of them, her breathing unsteady and rushed. She didn't say anything as she titled her head upwards, like she had just won but no smile appeared on her face. Lucy swayed, like in the arena and Natsu could see a sword appear in Erza's hand, steam beginning to form around Gray's hand.