Chapter 8: Are You Coming To The Tree?

Start from the beginning

"Good," Salem nodded, "Find out the date and I'll meet you there."

I grabbed his arm as he turned away, "Wait!" His gaze tilted back to mine. "We can't keep doing this." His arms crossed over his chest. I swallowed forcefully, "We need a better way to communicate." He was silent.

An idea popped up in my head and I held out my phone.

"You text?"

***

November 4th, 11:11 a.m.

I slid into my usual seat at lunch. Allison joined me shortly after. I pulled out my lunch and looked around the lunchroom for Hannah. My gaze instead met Charlie who was walking towards our table with a confident stride. He took Hannah's seat. "Ladies," he greeted.

"Hi Charlie," Allison returned around a mouthful of ham sandwich.

"Where's Hannah?" I asked while scanning the crowded cafeteria again.

"She went home early," he said apologetically, "She caught the flu." Of course she got sick.

I moved on with my plan anyway. "Do you know when Lauren's party is?" I put my arms across the table and leaned into them.

Allison almost spit her coke everywhere. She burst into a coughing fit while Charlie gently patted her back to help calm her down. "You-" she coughed one last time, "You want to go to Lauren's party?!" She almost sounded offended.

My eyebrows scrunched together a little, as if I were confused about her surprise, but I had expected she would react like that. "Yeah... I mean, you don't have to have an invitation, right?" I shared a glance between the two of them, faking innocence. I needed into that party.

"Speak of the devil..." Allison muttered while eyeing past my shoulder.

Lauren sat down beside Charlie. Her auburn hair was straightened and pulled into a high ponytail. The teal sweater she had on had the sleeves rolled up to her elbows and was tucked into her maroon tennis skirt. She was quite the contrast from Allison and I, who preferred to wear our hair down with jeans and a neutral shaded sweater or a graphic tee. We, uh, didn't run in the same circles. Or acknowledge each other's' existence for that matter.

"I heard someone say something about my party." She was talking entirely to Charlie, "I hope you're planning on coming."

Charlie's eyes shifted to us, "Uhm... yes, my friends and I were planning on coming." His British accent came out even more when he spoke slowly, and it had a devastating effect on Lauren.

She jumped up from the table, clearly giddy with joy at the thought that she had verified a group of hot guys to go to her party. Little did she know that the 'hot friends' were actually Allison, Hannah, and me. "The party's on Friday, 10:30, after the game." She twirled a finger in her ponytail. "See you there." She strutted away.

Allison was fuming. "That girl makes me want to slap the glittery lip gloss right off of her." she seethed.

Charlie gave her a startled look, "More importantly, she didn't tell me where this party is that I'm suddenly going to."

Allison gave a humorless laugh, "Baby rich girl has it in her huge mansion every year." Allison really didn't like the Chambers family. They were only rich because of the scientist father who worked for NASA and was never home. To add to it, their mother had a good job working as the school's psychologist. In Allison's eyes, a person needed to be taught the value of work, not have everything handed to them on a silver platter.

I held up my index finger, "I know the way to her house." I only knew because Salem told me.

"Who's driving?" Charlie asked between the three of us.

"I'm out," Allison said, leaning back in her chair, "Not only do I hate her, but I can only make so many excuses to sneak out to a party in a week."

"Do you think Hannah will come?"

The end-of-lunch bell rang and before we could part separate ways I said, "I'll text her." Using the group chat seemed wrong without Georgia seeing as she was the one who put it together. I was really starting to miss her.

***********

A/N

When your friends want you to love them, but you're like 'I'm good.' XD

HAVE A GOOD DAY! (you know you want to. ;)

Byes *waves*

Song: S.O.S. by Indila (Even though it's French, I find it beautiful and think the lyrics fit several of the story's characters ^.^)

~Alexis :3