ArnoLd: Playing It Cool

Arnold's P.O.V

It's been a few weeks since the first day of school. I tried out for the football team along with Gerald and we both made the cut. I was tight end and Gerald was running back. My classes were going smoothly and my budding friendship with Helga was... well it was something all right.

Despite my best efforts I found myself attracted to Helga. I tried to play it cool though because I'm sure if she ever found out she would probably be weirded out. Honestly the whole thing kinda freaks me out. I mean whoever would have thought a guy would have a crush on his childhood tormentor. I resurfaced from my internal thoughts only to realize Helga was not walking with me to lunch. I looked around and saw she had stopped by the waster fountain and was talking to some guy from our math class. Talking and laughing anyways.

I walked backwards until my back was against the lockers so I wouldn't stand in the way of hallway traffic and watched them in the least creepy way possible. I watched the guy look Helga up and down with a sordid look of appreciation. Not that she didn't warrant it. Helga was wearing a back v-neck, and pink denim skirt that showed off her smooth legs and pink Converse with a chain necklace that had little assorted charms on it and she looked very nice. He placed his hand on her shoulder and she listened to what he was saying, nodding her head absentmindedly. I felt like there was a rock sitting in my stomach. She smiled and said something and his hand skimmed down the length of her arm and lingered on her hand but Helga quickly moved it to hold her other arm while she crossed her legs. He said something again and she began to walk away in my direction, nodding still. "Okay, I'll see you later." I heard her say. He waved as she walked towards me but stopped abruptly when he saw I was watching. There was a look on his face, something that resembled the look a child would give when getting caught with heir hand in the cookie jar. I nodded at him. I saw him take a quick glance at his surrounding before he nodded back at me and stalked around the corner of the hall.

"Are you ready yet Hair Boy?" Helga questioned me in a mocking manner. I rolled my eyes before pushing myself off the lockers and together we walked down the almost empty hallway.

"So," I began, "Does someone have a hot date later?"

"What?" Helga asked.

"You know." I state casually while putting my arm around her shoulder.

"No I truly do not. Enlighten me, please." She responds monotonously.

"You know," I repeat, "The guy!" I emphasize.

"Who Paul?" she exclaims as if it's the most ridiculous thing she's ever heard. I nod. "No you've got that all wrong. He was just talking to me about a poetry assignment that we have." I cringed in my mind. Poetry! I bet the guy doesn't even like poetry and just takes that class because it's filled with girls, the poser. Look at me judging a guy I don't even know. Grandma would be ashamed. "I mean he did invite me to do the work at his house but I'd hardly call that a 'hot date'. And there is no way he likes me that way!"

I looked down at Helga very hard to see if she was serious. She was. "Helga, in case you haven't noticed that guy was checking you out real hardcore-"

"What!"

"And he asked you to work on homework at his house. That dear Helga is called a study date and yes that does follow under the date category."

Helga stopped in the middle of the hall and genuinely looked stunned, literally at a loss for words. I eyed her, worried that I had somehow made her brain implode on itself. I heard her intake a breath and she faced me. "Shut up, you are totally messing with me."

I gaped at her, "Helga why is it so hard for you to believe that a guy wants to do more than just talk homework with you." This girl clearly didn't see herself properly. "Any guy would be lucky to-"

"No! LA LA LA LA! I can't hear you!" she yelled while covering her ears.

"Seriously Helga, you-"

"No we are not doing this now. Or ever for that matter." She closed her eyes and breathed a heavy sigh. "I just want to go to lunch okay?" I nodded slightly in shock. I was astounded how hard it was for Helga to accept a compliment. And I intended to change that by any means possible.

"By the way you look very beautiful today." I said. Color softly stained her cheeks. Helga's blushes are weird; they are so subtle like it's a secret or something. She glanced slightly in my direction and thanked me. Yeah real cool Arnold.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Where have you two been all lunch?" Harold asked obnoxiously.

"Probably frenching in the janitor's closet." Rhonda giggled. Everyone chuckled but I can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind more than once.

"Shut up Rhonda." Helga grumbled before shoving her off the bench making her fall onto the damp grass.

"Helga! This is Armani!" Rhonda whined while gesturing to her white linen button down shirt that would have practically swallowed her body if not for the studded elastic waist band. Helga just flipped her hand in a so-so gesture while she talked to Phoebe. As I made my way to the empty spot next to Gerald, Nadine gave Rhonda a hand and chuckled while helping her get some the grass cutting off her shirt.

The rest of lunch I kept finding myself looking at Helga. A few times she caught my eye but always looked away with a small smile upon her lips. When the bell rang for class she walked me to my Spanish class as she had Study Hall.

We walked in silence until she said, "So..." but she stopped there. I waited for more but it didn't come.

"So?" I proded.

"Did you really mean what you said." She asked with bashful grin.

"What did I say?"

"About how any guy would be lucky to be with me?" She questions.

I breathe deep and stroke my chin in a contemplative manner, "Well to be fair I never really said that." She shoves me hard and I can see the secretive flush on her cheeks again.

I laugh before I said, "Yes Helga. Of course I meant that."

"Really?" she inquired.

"Really."

We had stopped outside of my class. People were rushing in but I stayed outside with Helga. Between us there was a tension filled silence, but it was a good tension filled with hopeful anticipation. Her hair looked so nice and I found myself wanting to push back the wisp that had escaped its place. My body somehow reacted to that thought without my knowledge and I found myself reaching up to push that one little strand back. Luckily I diverted the action by smoothly setting my hand on her shoulder. I cleared my throat.

"I think you should go out with Peter." I told her with knots in my stomach. Maybe I can get over my silly crush if she's no longer available, though just the thought of her with that guy makes my head all fuzzy.

"You mean Paul." She says with a confused look on her face. I cringe.

"Yeah him too," I say trying to make a joke out of my mistake.

Helga looks away, "I don't know. Maybe." She says but that doesn't sound to promising. I was about to say something else but we were interrupted by Lila.

"Oh Helga," She exclaims, "I have so much to tell you! I finally broke up with that dreadful Chad, gosh he was such a bore and-"

"That's great Lila. I'm really sorry but I've got to get class." And she left without another word to either of us. Lila turned her questioning gaze to me.

"Did I interrupt something?" she says with a coy smile playing on her red painted lips. I shrug. Her grin grows wider, "Well adios amigo, we must be off to class." She links her arm with mine and tows me to our seats.

I watch Lila take her seat and flip her hair over her shoulder. An idea comes to me. I figure the best way to cease these strange feelings for Helga is to get interested in another girl. "Hey Lila, can I have your phone number?" I ask as I ease my way into my seat.

She smiles that sinful smile again, "Of course Arnold. Oh I'm ever so glad you asked."