Try to find some good in it, her mind advised. Her thoughts tried to obey. At least I have Brian. I don't know what I'd do without him. She wondered if the woman she had once called 'Mom' was trying to persuade her brother to join her side. I hope he's on my side.. Remembering what was said in the email she had received the day before, Christine knew she shouldn't care so much. What's done was done and that was that.

With a shaky breath, she got out of bed and inwardly thanked Erik again for his advice.

Erik. Her feet quickly led her towards her computer chair. Christine's previous thoughts were immediately put on hold as she anxiously signed onto her Pen a Pal account. Come on, come on, let me have an email. Wait.. She suddenly remembered that she had sent him a recording of her voice. Her hand stilled on the mouse and her excitement faded somewhat as nerves spread throughout her body. She gulped and closed her eyes to prevent herself from seeing.

Do I want to know? Was it incredibly stupid of me to have sent it? What will he say? She again ordered herself to stop caring so much. So what, Christine? You do want to know. It wasn't stupid for you to have sent it. It was something you wanted to do. And it solves nothing to try to guess his response. He either liked it or he didn't. Either way, it shouldn't matter so much. If he's a decent human being, then this won't make it so that you two stop emailing. Just open your eyes and look already..

Her eyes opened and she blinked a few times before focusing on the screen. She did have an email. Her breathing stopped. With a jittery hand, she clicked the correct button in order to read it. Then, she took a deep calming breath and read.

Christine,

I do not know where to begin. Honestly, you have surprised me beyond belief, but I will get to that shortly.

First, you are most welcome for the advice, and I will try to give more if you ever need it.

Second, it sounds like your mother and her fiancé are only trying to gain your approval because of what feels like obligation. I could be wrong, but it sounds like your approval or disapproval would not mean much to either of them. They are just trying to be 'good people', although their attempts are useless, are they not? You do what you feel is right, for you know your mother better than I do, but my previous advice remains- I would not forgive her so easily. She is in the wrong, and you do not have to fall for her attempts to convince you otherwise. As I have said before, you are more than welcome to continue updating me on the situation as it transpires further.

Now I will explain my surprise. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that you had sent me a recording of your voice. The surprise did not end there. I was not prepared for what I heard. Christine, your voice is exquisite. I cannot fully explain to you how breathtaking it is. Your talent is impressive, to say the least, and the gift you possess has blown me away. It is rare to find a voice such as yours. You sang the piece of music exactly as it was meant to be sung.

Christine was interrupted from her reading when she heard her bedroom door swing open and hit the wall loudly. She gasped and whirled around in her computer chair to face the sound. It was Brian. He was angrier than she had ever seen him before, but that wasn't the horrifying part. She was horrified due to the fact that tears were running down both of her cheeks. It was because of the beautiful email, of course, but Brian didn't know that. She clumsily tried to wipe away her tears while wishing he'd warned her before coming in. "What's wrong?" she asked, trying to distract him from noticing the tears.

Brian's anger dissipated immediately, and he asked in shock, "Are you crying?" Before Christine even had time to react, he shouted, "I can't believe this! I can't believe she made you cry! Oh, she's going to pay!"