Peeta Comes Home

*NOTE: I do not remember some of the parts from the book or the movie so some details are from my head. I apologize!*

Trudging through the field and clutching the animal I had shot, my gaze bounces from one pile of District 12 remains to another. I sigh and nod at the few civilians i see cleaning up the rubble.

"'Morning," I say politely to one group and the only responses i get are a pitiful look from a short and thin man, and a half-smile, half-frown from a woman. I nod and quickly resume walking. The weather has turned a bit muggy and humid, and my father's hunting jacket feels heavy and hot. Still, I push on, kicking at little stones along the dirt path. My thoughts drift off to the new Panem and President Paylor, who was elected to be the leader after Coin and Snow's death. A laugh rises in my throat but i only let it out as a sickly cough. Hah. Coin's death. Visions of my arrow stuck in her chest, and then the horrifying yet pleasing sight of Snow laughing out blood until he died from - what? choking on his own blood? - swims before my eyes. I blink hastily and look up at the sun, pausing in my tracks. It's warm rays hit me full-on and I am comforted for a moment by how free i am now. But the moment passes as the only cloud in the sky covers the sun, casting a shadow on me, and i shiver. I open my eyes and continue walking until I spot my Victor's house in the Victors Village, the only place in all of District 12 that was barely destroyed by the bombs. I am about to go inside when something...or someone catches my eye.

I gasp. "Peeta?" I whisper the words, unsure of the sight before me.

The boy with the bread rises, his white shirt all dirty. He turns around and i notice the flower pot in his hand. He smiles slowly, his eyes relieved.

"Katniss," He replies and after a moment of staring in awe at each other, my gaze flickers down to the flower and back up to his face, a question in my eyes. Peeta looks down and up, nodding.

"It's Primrose," he confirms and before i can stop myself, I am rushing forward and Peeta is embracing me.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers, his breath tickling my ear. I close my eyes, the familiarity of the boy with the bread's arms around me, comforting me. I smile a bit.

Peeta is back.