The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

Adele laughed nervously not looking up as Rafe took her other hand and held both between his.

“Are you feeling any warmer?”

“A little.”

 Still Adele did not look up and Rafe could see even though her head was bent, that she blushed.

They were sitting rather close, Rafe reflected, she was sandwiched between him and Eda snugly, but the shelter was small and it could not be helped. He looked out into the rain wondering if any of them would sleep tonight. Eda probably would he thought with a smile, she seemed capable of sleeping anywhere.

Adele could feel her cheeks glowing hot and was vexed with herself, the situation could not be helped so it was ridiculous to be made uncomfortable by it. Still, it was a very strange experience, she could feel the gentle and accidental pressure of Rafe against her, a circumstance that she could not but be acutely conscious of. He had managed somehow to bring warmth to her fingers, a luxury that she had not experienced since leaving the fort, and he was trying so very hard to put her at ease.

“Mistress Ardith said you knew no one beyond the gates of the fort, Lady Adele,” As he spoke she could feel his breath stirring her hair. “So I do not precisely understand how you know this ‘Randolph’.”

“Randwulf,” corrected Adele absently, trying to still the chattering of her teeth.

She did not wish to talk of this, especially not now when she had spoken sharply to Eda, to remind her of Randwulf when she was already feeling low would be cruel.

“He used to climb over the fort wall.” she answered in an off handed way.

Rafe felt a little easier at this circumstance.

“So he was one of the boys from the village then?” It was not really a question but a statement.

“He wasn’t from the village, but from one of the big houses.” It was Eda who answered, her voice subdued.

“He told you so?”

“No, there was no need, he had a page that followed him wherever he went.”

“And you met the page too I suppose?”

“Well, yes,” answered Adele guiltily. “I know we ought not but there was little we could do to stop them climbing over the wall if they so chose, was there?”

“So what did you do?”

“Well…we played with them.” Shrugged Adele.

Rafe was silent and irritably so. No doubt they had played with the very toys that he himself had provided! For some reason this last seemed monstrously unfair. And then the significance of her remark dawned upon him.

“Played?” he questioned. “How long ago did you meet him?”

Adele’s brow creased in thought.

“I was….seven? Yes that would be about right.” she mused aloud.

“And when did you see him last?”

“A month ago,” she answered, “But he was due to visit us again a few days from now.”

“You mean he came quite often to visit you, and without Mistress Ardith‘s knowledge?” asked Rafe keeping his tone carefully natural. Adele shot an anxious glance at Eda.

“Yes, often. It was nice to have his visits to look forward to.” Adele smiled faintly, relaxing a little as she gazed dreamily into the fire. “He taught me to use the bow and the sword, and how to use a person’s strength against them in a struggle.” Adele turned her sparkling eyes toward him. “But more than that he was always there for me, for us, as someone to talk to, to confide in.” She caught herself, suddenly looking guilty.