1: Strange Attractions

Grant's P.O.V.

The whole helicopter ride to the island had been a nightmare. Ellie was by my side, but we had to listen to the ridiculous ramblings of one Dr. Ian Malcom. At first glance, he resembled a moody teenager, with an edgy leather jacket and a haircut that screams "WOMANIZER." But as the ride continued I happened to become increasingly intrigued with the doctor. His insights, however absurd they may seem actually incite thought unlike some other scientists I've been forced to listen to, who simply stand on the shoulders of those before them and refuse to create their own ideas. 

I am pulled from my train of thought as the pilot announces the commencing descent onto the island and I must scramble to fasten my seatbelt. Malcom seems to find joy in the chaotic movements of the helicopter while the rest of the passengers look about ready to hurl. As soon as we make landfall, we are ushered into two jeeps and I opt for the jeep in which Dr. Malcom will be occupying, as I would like to continue my observations of the peculiar doctor. As I listen to him, I develop more and more of a liking for Ian. Our discourse is good spirited, lively and progressive and I find myself never wanting it to end. We discuss everything from the evolution of dinosaurs into birds to his favorite, chaos theory. I find this one particularly ironic, seeing as Dr. Ian Malcom himself seems to wholly embody the idea of chaos.

The whole ride seemed to be a blur, as my attention was entirely consumed by Malcom, the mysterious, whimsical mathematician. I may have been imagining it, but I definitely felt a similar vibe on his end. Like we were operating on the same wavelength. Ellie seemed to pick up on my liking for Dr. Malcom and pulled me aside when we arrived at the Visitor's Center. "Be careful with that Malcom," she whispered jokingly, "Remember that we're here to investigate the integrity of this island, not fall in love." If only I had listened to her advice.

Malcom's P.O.V.

Dr. Grant. Quite the unusual one, I'll tell you that. I don't think I've ever met a man with the confidence of Alan. I admire the conviction he has when addressing his research. The drive for fresh, exciting, discoveries and the individuality of his thinking. I first noticed it when reading his book. Yes, I read his book. Okay so I've sort of been a long time fan of his. Is that weird? Whatever.

In the nursery, I notice his keen powers of observation and the care with which he approaches his work. I am unbelievably excited to work with him. I figure I have to outright ask him to make sure he knows what I'm getting at. "Say, Dr. Grant," I begin. He looks up to me with questioning eyes. "I think we really should collaborate more when we get off of this island." He takes a look around at the raptor eggs by his waist. 

"If," he says jokingly. We share a good laugh which soon settles into an uncomfortable silence.

"Seriously," I break the silence, "I think you are a quite competent scientist and I would love to get to know more of your ideas." Coming from me, this is very high praise, considering my general contempt for a majority of the scientific community. And I'll be damned; Dr. Grant blushes at my compliment! 

"Uh, thanks." he mutters "I would love for you to explain to me the intricacies of your beloved chaos theory sometime as well." He smiles. This will be some interesting research.