22- Somewhat Lacking

The next few seconds are panic, a rushed blur of color, emotion, light and noise. Some of us freeze, others can think of nothing to say yet never stop speaking, Anue herself approaches Ace and shouts him down until all he can say is "No, I didn't know! I didn't!". He lies through his teeth and Natrina watches, a sea of green swimming with thousands of floral fish dancing across her back.

"Silence!" Her voice is like the call of a dragon over the roar of the crowd. Everyone stares upwards, awestruck, and she turns to her Defenders. "This will be settled in the morning. I do not wish for it to come to blows, but if anyone is harmed before the break of dawn, let them answer to me. Aislyn, enjoy your last mortal night."

"Aislyn." Asha whispers the name as if stepping into the skin of that ancient Princess.

Blitz and Morgan appear over her and nod to me. I look through the scattered crowd, seeing so many familiar faces and yet not one in particular I can confide in, speak with. Something about the repertoire of acquaintances I've made feels fickle and lonely. Regardless, I follow the two silent Canira into the backroom, Aislyn- I mean Asha- bounding up ahead. I've never been in the back of the Pantry, where the food is made, but it apparently doubles as Blitz and Morgan's sleeping quarters. Soot-stained blankets rest in a corner, away from the flames, and the crude stone walls line a massive, roaring hearth. To the left and right of that, on the side walls, are a menagerie of shelves bearing ingredients from spices to raw grains.

Morgan taps the wall several times, ending with a wide swish.

"They'll be back for her." Blitz translates.

"Should we let anyone in?" I say, thinking chiefly of Ace.

Morgan shakes her head.

"So what, we're just going to ask them nicely to go to sleep? That ought to work." I scoff.

Morgan pokes me with the tip of her muzzle, and I watch as the Stocked Pantry, surprisingly enough, seems to empty. Alabaster and Hirina are escorting others out, save for Ace, who sobs on the floor. Calliope stands next to him, strange eyes glazed with worry. She sniffs, energy crackling in her horns, but save for that stays silent as the trees.

Alabaster looks back at me, impossible calmness in his gaze. Once most of the inhabitants are out and Natrina has left, he steps back to meet me. "No one is sleeping tonight."

"I know." I sigh.

"You did know, though." he adds, and I get the feeling he's not talking about sleep.

"About this?" I ask, hoping to confirm.

"Absolutely. I can see it in your eyes."

I give a half nod, dipping my head and keeping it there. "I had suspicions her nightmares were... more than what she was letting on. I had no idea they were prophetic to this extent. Suppose dream theory does hold some credibility."

"Whatever comes next, you're going to defend her, aren't you?"

"To the best of my ability. She hasn't done anything wrong."

"There's my Rose." Alabaster nods, stretching out. "I should take my leave."

"Wait." I say, and he turns around. "This doesn't make any sense. The Princess was old when she died. If Asha is her heartline, and therefore next in line for the crown... does Natrina have any right to her?"

"I suppose that's the question." Alabaster yawns, and I see missing teeth in the back of his jaw, scarred and inflamed tissue surrounding several of the back molars. My heart pauses. "May your mind be sharper than thorns, Rose." Calliope follows him out the door.