Ch. 18 (PG): Lady Elizabeth's turn to be wooed

Start from the beginning

Lady Elizabeth is still quite shy, but Lord Duncan jovially helps her steer the conversations of her morning callers—much to the consternation of Lord Richard, Lord Bernard, and His Grace Duke Sebastian. And for proprieties sake, Lady Lizzie's ladies maid Hildy—Lady Elizabeth's pet name for her youngish ladies maid named Hildegarde--sits in her unneeded up until this week chaperonage corner of the large formal Drawing Room at Sussex House. What can her parents have been thinking with such a lofty old world Christian name as Hildegard for her spritely ladies maid, Lady Elizabeth wonders? Though the reverse seems to be the case with Lady Elizabeth, since as a child she was affectionately known as Lady Lizzie--but now that she has had her come out, she only wishes to be known as Lady Elizabeth. That is, if she can get her brothers Lord Christian and Lord Harold to comply.

Thus pondering Hildy's name is a small bit of distraction on Lady Lizzie's part whilst the gentlemen discuss horses and hounds—and their latest cravat stylings.   Lady Elizabeth would perceive her presence unnecessary for such conversations—since the gentlemen talk gamely amongst themselves—but for Lord Duncan's bringing her into the conversation at regular intervals, now and again.

Lady Elizabeth:   On the issue of horses, Lady Elizabeth expresses her view that. "Beyond their employment for conveyance, I would wish they would be allowed to run and roam free to enjoy life." Duke Sebastian smiles.

Duke Sebastian: "Then My Lady, you should visit our estate Red Roses Hall in Yorkshire. Our inestimable stables of thirty and more horses have abundant paddocks upon which to graze and run and roam, as you suggest.  And of course, we ride our horses across our expansive estate nearly daily for their exercise and for our own. So I would not think theirs is a life of boredom, rather to the contrary."

Lady Elizabeth: "Oh! I am certain your estate is most pleasing--to the horses, I mean." Lady Lizzie smiles sweetly.

Lord Richard: "Ah! But My Lady, my own horses are the fastest in England—my pride and joy! You must come to the races with me one day and see them run." He extends an invitation.

Lady Elizabeth: Lady Lizzie looks at him curiously. "Thank you, Lord Richard. But though horse racing sounds exciting, ...." But she is interrupted.

Lord Richard: "It is the sport of kings!' He exclaims excitedly.

Lady Elizabeth: " Yes, in addition to war, I suppose." She narrows her eyes for his lack of courtesy [in interrupting her]. "But as I was trying to say when you interrupted me, apart from my being worried about the poor horses possibly losing a shoe or straining a tendon during the race, I do not believe that my Grandmother nor my brother Lord Christian will allow it. I have never heard of such a thing as horse racing as being suitable in society.  Are any ladies present for such races?" Lady Elizabeth asks dubiously as she looks at him askance for the propriety of his suggestion, and his hopes are dashed. Then she continues her hold on the conversation and directs her attention to her third guest, Lord Bernard Quincy. "And what of you, Lord Quincy?"

Lord Bernard: "I? Well, I?

Lord Richard: "Do speak up, Lord Quincy." He sneers.

Lord Duncan: "Now now gentlemen, I have heard that Lord Quincy's interests tend more toward his hounds—for hunting." He tries to broker a peace.

Lord Bernard: "Yes, yes!" He utters gratefully. "That is so. Do you hunt, Lady Elizabeth?"

Lady Elizabeth: "No. Our estate woodlands are either too thick, hilly, or the land given over to farming. There is very little unorganized grazing land for a hunt, I am afraid. My brother is attempting to maximize the estate, as he says."

Lord Duncan: "Most commendable. Perhaps he and I can converse and consult with regard to our family's estate in Yorkshire."

Lady Elizabeth:  "And what of your estate, Lord Lindsay?  Does it have delights to offer as well?"