prologue

ashton sat on the stiff couch feeling wildly uncomfortable in the too familiar room. the tan walls, white trim, paintings of nature, cinnamon sugar candles, a bookshelf full of books on mental illness, a desk with her manila folder in the center, and of course the coffee brown couch ashton was forced to sit on.

"how have you been feeling?" a petite woman with piercing eyes asked. she was ashton's therapist of three years, and so far she was no help to the young brunette girl.

"good i guess" ashton mumbled.

"have you been doing the breathing exercises i gave you?" she asked.

"yeah."

"do they seem to help?" she asked with genuine concern. ashton knew her therapist cared, it was her job to care. she just wasn't the right fit for ashton, but she was too tired to care.

"yeah they're working great." she said, attempting a smile.

"i have another exercise you can try" her therapist said, rummaging through her desk drawers. ashton raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "i thought writing letters can help."

"i don't have anyone to write letters to." ashton mentally went through her contacts, which only included her mother and father.

"you don't have to give them to anybody. you can just write them to anyone, and then keep them in a notebook. for example, you could write them to me and never give them to me." she smiled. ashton nodded taking the letter kit she had kindly given to her.

"i'll try." she sighed, before finishing her session.

-

the next day ashton went to school. during class she spent less of her attention on the curriculum, and more on who to write the letters to. she had almost given up and was just going to not even try this technique. but then during science class, she sat next to the most beautiful boy, a boy ashton felt deserved to be written about, or at least written to.

a/n: this is basically gonna be the biggest cliche it's gonna be ashton writing to julian the whole book and it will consist of a lot of cheesy/generic space references lmao
side note: ashton is a girl if you didn't catch on lol