CHAPTER 4 - Leave Every Hope

Through me is the way into the woeful city;
through me is the way into eternal woe;
through me is the way among the lost people.

Justice moved my lofty maker:
the divine Power, the supreme Wisdom
and the primal Love made me.

Before me were no things created, unless eternal, and I eternal last.
Leave every hope, ye who enter!

- Dante, The Divine Comedy Vol 1: The Inferno, Canto III 

***  

It began suddenly. No one would have been able to predict it.

It began suddenly, and amidst the crowd that had gathered in the square. It began as when gas erupts after being compressed for a long time underground.

The Holy Celebration Day, 2017.
12:15 pm
Front Square, City Hall (also known as The Moondrop)

The wind blew icily and nipped at the skin, but the sun was bright. The sky was clear, and was dyed a brilliant blue, appropriate for the festivities. The hearts of the people were buoyant. They waved flags, and all praised the Holy City.

"Our mighty No. 6."

The square in front of the city hall where the ceremonies were to be held was bursting with people.

"It's hot," complained a woman in the stuffy crowd. She was young and slender. "I feel like I'm going to suffocate, there's so many people."

"So true," her friend agreed beside her. She was short, with black hair. She sighed as she dabbed the sweat off her nose. "Isn't it horrible, how there's barely even space to walk? How disgusting to sweat in the winter. I feel all sticky."

"Really, I don't believe it. We dressed up for nothing."

"I know."

Both had barely any experience of sweating. They had always lived in places where the temperature and humidity were adjusted just so for maximum comfort. They couldn't stand the sweat that streamed under their arms and down their backs. They found the heat of the jostling crowd exceedingly unpleasant.

The black-haired woman pouted her painted lips.

"My supervisor said I absolutely had to participate in the ceremonies. If I didn't, I would get my salary cut."

"Me too. Boss' orders. He said it's mandatory that I show up. If it wasn't, I definitely wouldn't be here."

"They'd know from your ID card if you didn't show up, wouldn't they? The gates scan your citizenship number when you pass through them... and I heard they notify your workplace afterwards."

The slender woman nodded gravely, and furrowed her brow. A bead of sweat rolled down her cheek.

Oh, how unpleasant. I wish I could take a shower and freshen up.

The black-haired woman continued loosing her stream of complaints.

"My younger sister is still a student, but she told me all of them have to meet at school, and they get bussed over here."

"Really? They didn't have anything like that in our day, did they?"

"No. I heard it's just started this year. They want to confirm your loyalty level to the city. My sister was complaining that if you don't participate, you get negative points for your Activities column. You get placed in Rank D. That means you wouldn't be able to get further schooling, or land a job. I thought it was a bit harsh, don't you think so?"

"It is. They're practically forcing us. And speaking of which―it's a bit much these days, isn't it? Everywhere you go lately, it's loyalty-level this, loyalty-level that. I kind of find it weird―"