The fourth day of November in the year of our lord, 1865, midnight.

What a night! It took four whole hours to get me prepared. There was a different person for every task! My maid, Rosa, spent an hour bathing me before handing me to Eliza, who threw off my towel, laced me up in a corset (even though I'm the slimmest in our court already!) and dressed me in Guiseppe from France's finest gown. After that I was placed on a stool by a mirror where two more women, Hetty and Martha, fiddled with my hair, twisting it into a bun and threading rose petals through and covered every inch of my face in makeup. Really, if I was being honest, I thought it was all a bit of an overreactment but I mustn't complain as there are some ladies my age in our village who can barely afford to wash twice a year, let alone once a month and on special occasions!

Anyway, after my four hours of being a doll, I (rather self-conciously) walked down the great marble staircase, slipped on my mask and began dancing with my father.

Hours later, after my hair had slipped out of its bun and was now hanging in blonde ringlets over my shoulders, I whirled around to escape from the intense glares of intrest from Samuel, the Duke of Oxford's son, and walked right into a night in shining armour- really! He pulled down his helmet as I began to appologise. I looked up into a young mans face.

He was extremely handsome! Brown hair framed the side of his face. I could see that it was not usually straight and combed and beneath his layer of armour, there were distinctive blisters that could only have been attained from working hard. I realised in a heartbeat that this man was not rich- he may not have even been middle class! But that did not matter to me, for he was my night in shining armour and I could be nowhere without him now. I also realised that if I could see signs of him being below first- class then others could too. I took off my mask and carried on walking out through the doors into the garden, praying that he would follow.

He did, of course. I carried on walking until I came across the largest tree in our garden. I do not know what type of tree it was for I am rarely allowed to leave the mansion, but I knew where this tree stood, and I knew that nobody could see us from this spot.

"You are not first-class." I said to him. I am ashamed of those words. How spoiled I must have sounded! Although I am sure my words must have startled him, he did not react badly- he chuckled.

"I'm afraid not." he said. "Is that a problem?" His words seemed calm and relaxed enough but I could tell that he was really quite concerned. I told him that as I am rarely allowed to leave my chambers, it may make courting rather difficult.

"Let's make the most of now, then." he said. He took my hands and I wrapped them round his neck while his snaked round my waist. Then, he tilted his head and bent down to kiss me.

I am afraid that I must stop now, for my candle is about to burn out.

Lady Grace Willow