We strolled through the garden and Loki showed me every individual plant. After a while, we had made our way around the entire garden, and were standing back in front of the Arubae.

Excitement lit Loki's eyes, "I have something else to show you," he said. I creased my eyebrows in question as he led me toward the far corner of the garden. There was nothing but a wall, and I looked at him confusedly, but he just smirked and waved his hand over the stone. In response, part of it shimmered and disappeared, revealing a staircase. My confusion changed to wonder as I stepped onto the first step and looked up. White branches encased the stairs, letting in some of the outside moonlight. I could see at the top of the corridor an opening like the one I had just come through, only this one was bathed in the blue light coming from outside. Hurrying up the steps and through the arch at the end, I found myself on a stone platform overlooking another garden. This one was bigger, and there wasn't a roof separating the grounds from the world outside. I could see the houses and palace of Asgard, but could not hear the buzz that was associated with night in the city. Loki ascended and stood next to me. Sensing my thought process, he leaned toward me and said, "We're shielded from the outside. This garden is merely a beautiful mirage, and we currently exist in a sort of hidden pocket separate from the rest of the universe."

I was truly amazed. If the original garden was beautiful, this one was eutopia; it seemed to go on forever in every direction. A wider set of semi-circle stairs folded out down to the ground, and a little ways in front of the bottom step was a large white marble fountain spewing water and giving the dream-like night a suitable soundtrack. "It's perfect Loki," I grinned turning to look at him. Suddenly, I remembered who he was, "I mean, uh...my prince."

He turned to me and touched my arm lightly. "You can just call me Loki," he whispered.

"Okay," I said, smiling. He smiled back at me and his eyes danced.

"Come," he prompted and led me down the stairs to the fountain.

We sat upon the rim facing each other and Loki showed me some of his tricks. I stared in amazement as soft green light licked at his fingertips. With a flick of his wrist, Loki commanded the light to change. It morphed into a familiar shape and solidified. The alabaster prince held out to me a glowing purple flower: the Arubae. The gesture touched me. I took it from him, and met his eyes. "I love it!" I said and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He stiffened slightly, but relaxed into the embrace after a few moments. I unhitched my arms from around his neck just as he unhitched his from around my waist, and he took my hand and led me on.

We walked through the garden, Loki stopping occasionallly to show me an interesting place, but mostly just wandering around talking. After some time, the path we were on ended and I stood at the base of a large gazebo. It seemed to be made of white marble through which veins of jet black ran. The confusing thing about the structure was that I could see no lines where the pieces had been assembled; it was almost as if the entire thing was carved from one solid slab.

I walked through the gazebo and found myself standing on one of several stones leading in a path down to a small pond that contained fish more beautiful than any I had seen before, and stranger too; these fish gave off a white-blue light almost like that reflected by the moon. They swam lazily around each other, in hypnotic rhythm.

Loki had followed me to the pond and now stood to my left. "Watch," he said, and with a wave of his hand, we were enveloped in utter darkness. My breathing sped at the sudden lack of light. I had never been fond of the dark. The uncertainty it brought had frightened me ever since I was a child. I felt a hand slide into my own and give it a reassuring squeeze. I returned the pressure and felt Loki shift beside me. All at once, hundreds of fireflies illuminated the blackness around us. They flew about like stars and gave the water a strange mirage-like quality.

We sat there on the edge of the water for hours, watching the fireflies. Loki showed me how to catch them in my hands. I could have stayed there for ages, but like all good things, that night had to end.

"I should probably go back home, it's getting late." I hated to say it, but my parents would be wondering where I was, and I didn't want to have to explain to them where exactly I had been. Somehow, I didn't think that would go over well.

"Yes," Loki sighed, "and I should likely be getting back to the palace before dinner. Could we perhaps do this again sometime? I quite enjoy your company."

"Absolutely! I don't think I have any engagements tomorrow evening," I said, but then ammended, "U-unless you have something to do."

"No no, I would love to see you again tomorrow. How about sundown at the Arubae?"

"Deal."

We walked back through the gardens and eventually came to the first door again. "You will be here tomorrow?" he asked, as if pleading with me. The look in his eyes confused me; surely the prince of Asgard had many friends. But then why did he look so hopeful?

"Yes Loki," I assured him, "Sundown at the Arubae." With that, he smiled, bowed his head slightly, turned on his heel, and walked away. I watched him go until he was out of sight before turning in the direction of my house and starting to walk back.