Chapter 1 - Mikayla

I woke up after a long night. I walked to the Kings' bedroom to see if they were awake, which I highly doubted. As soon as I walked up to the door, I knew I was right. I couldn't mistake King Boomer's snoring for anyone else's.

I opened the door and looked inside. I was thinking about waking them up, but wasn't sure. Before I had a chance to think, I heard a voice behind me saying,"Mikayla? What are you doing in there?"

I turned around to see my dad standing there, wearing the same outfit he wears everyday: a brown leather vest with 2 leather straps around his shoulders crisscrossing in the front. He also always wore those trousers and sandals. I tried to think of a time he hadn't been wearing that outfit, but my mind couldn't pull one out.

"I was just sleepwalking," I said, doubting he'd believe me.

"Oh come on, honey. Let's give the Kings their privacy," said my dad. I took one last look at the Kings. Then I looked at Brady and thought about how I'd been rejecting his flirting ever since he came to the island.

"Okay," I said and I left.

Two hours later, I was down in the common room with my dad and Lanny. My dad and I were trying to think of ways to make the castle better protected, while all Lanny bickered about was of ways to make him King of Kinkow. Sometimes I wonder if he's trying to get the Kings to move back to Chicago.

Five minutes after, Brady and Boomer walked down the stairs. Brady, with his dark brown hair and bright blue eyes that remind me of an icy pool I want to jump in, wouldn't take his eyes off me. He always does that when he sees me in the morning.

To be honest, I don't really know how I feel about Brady. He obviously likes me and I even ended our friendship a few months ago because of his repetitive flirting. King Boomer is a different matter.

Sometimes I wonder how King Brady and King Boomer are even related. They're so different from each other it's a little disturbing. Everything Brady does, Boomer wants it another way. And they argue... a lot! Especially when it comes to Brady's shoes.... He has so many of them, he actually has to put names on them to remind him which shoes he has to wear each day.

"Mikayla," said Brady. "Can we talk? Alone?"

"Sure," I said. And I followed him out to the plaza.