Ch. 17 (PG): Supper Tete a Tetes at Lady Lizzie's Ball

Start from the beginning

Unable to resist Lady Madeline's effortless beauty, Lord Christian leans over to Lady Madeline as they nibble their buffet table selections. Lord Christian inquires about his intended. His curiosity about the conversation that he overheard between she and his sister, will not be contained.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Lady Madeline? Are you feeling refreshed after your and Lizzie's visiting her room for nearly twenty minutes?" The corners of his mouth curls ever so slightly—not a true smile, yet not a knowing smirk either.

Not wanting to divulge her and Lady Lizzie's conversation—her not realizing that he overheard it--Lady Madeline provides short, clipped answers to try to hide her embarrassment for discussing him kissing her.

Lady Madeline: "Yes. Thank you!" She nods once, then she bites into a succulent shrimp after dipping it in butter. "This braised shrimp is divine! We must have it at our wedding. I will ask Grandmama." She babbles a bit. For she knows that her Grandmama has set the menu for the reception already, due to the need to order the food in large quantities—and giving the grocer sufficient warning in order to procure it for them.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Indeed! Our chef ordered it at my special request. I thought that you might enjoy it." He smiles benevolently at her. Then he holds up his napkin toward her. "You have little bit of butter at the corner of your mouth." Her luscious mouth, he thinks. "May I?"

Lady Madeline: "Oh! Thank you, Lord Sussex." Lady Madeline smiles sweetly at him as he dabs at the corner of her mouth.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Come, My Dear Madeline. When we are speaking privately—despite being surrounded by our guests—will you not oblige me by using my given name?" His deep velvety voice is spoken in hushed tones for privacy—and to affect his betrothed with his animale allure.

Lady Madeline: "Of course, ... Christian." Lady Madeline nods. Inexperienced with men as a maiden, she has not the vocabulary to describe how her Lord Christian makes her feel. She only knows that he makes her tremble with his desirous regard of her—and she likes those feelings that he evokes in her.

Christian, Lord Sussex: Each word a caress, Lord Christian gazes besottedly at her as he replies sotto voce. "See, Madeline? That was not so difficult?"

Lady Madeline: "Indeed it was not, ... Christian." She smiles again and her using his personal name. "I was merely mindful of the proprieties with regard to due deference to your status as an Earl, My L ..., Christian." She corrects herself.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Are you for certain?"  She nods.   "And here I thought that you were uninterested in my title?" He smiles with interest for her response.

Lady Madeline:  "I am not!  Well, at least not to the extent that your being and Earl constitutes any part of your allure for me."

Christian, Lord Sussex: "So you are saying that I have no allure?" He feigns injury as he pouts his lips and tilts his head—with his eyebrow threatening to rise, for effect [(3) right]. He smoulders with great precision.

Lady Madeline shakes her head, which Lord Christian does not quite know how to interpret. Perhaps Lady Madeline's innocence extends to her having no understanding of allure—his or anyone elses'. Though to be honest about it, Lord Christian has previously associated allure with his female conquests. And he much prefers to think that his person exudes a charm and magnetism that women find pleasing—especially his betrothed Lady Madeline.

After thinking about it for a few moments, Lady Madeline replies to her intended in the only way she knows how.

Lady Madeline: "I believe that what I should say here is that your honor, kindness, noble actions, and easy manner have swept me off my feet."