<Chapter One>

"Velia?"

"Yes Auntie?" I call, heading down the old creaky stairs of our small house.

"Would you go to the market and get me some apples? We're having guests over tonight, and I want to make apple pie for them," Aunt Elizabeth asks, getting euros out of her wallet.

"Sure," I say, grabbing the money and heading out the door.

"Be safe!" Aunt Elizabeth calls, "Don't talk to anyone you don't have to!"

I nod, then grab my sweatshirt and pulls on the hood. Ever since I was young I'd known of my illegitimacy. My real mother was my fathers, the kings, mistress. I'd known that I was a mistake and was never supposed to be here. I'd  known I was half royal, but was forced to live in hiding. If I was found I'd be killed.

§§§

I put the bag of apples on the register, and wait for the clerk to scan them.

"Five Euros," he says as he scans them.

I get out my wallet and give him the money aunt Elizabeth gave me. I grab the bag of apples, and turn to leave.

The apples don't move. I roll my eyes and turn back around. The clerk is holding the bag of apples, very tightly, as if his life depended on them.

"Can I have the apples or not?" I huff out, getting impatient.

"Who are you?" He asks with a crazy look in his eye.

"Why does it matter?" I ask skeptically.

"Who are you?" He asks again, in a serious tone.

"It doesn't mater just give me my apples and let me go."

"No."

"Fine."

I dropped the bag of apples and cracked my knuckles. I'd never actually punched someone, but I always saw the wrestlers on tv crack their knuckles before a fight, so I thought I'd give it a try. I hurled my fist, aiming for his nose, but his hand caught my fist before it made contact with his face.

"Nice try, now tell me your name or I'll call the police to come get you," he said, my hand still in his, hanging in midair by his face.

"Velia," I said biting my lip, I was hoping that aunt Elizabeth wouldn't kill me for telling a stranger my name.

"Last name," he demanded

I definitely wasn't telling him my last name, so I made one up. With my lack of creativity, I had to quickly search for inspiration for a fake last name. My eyes quickly found a pack of spearmint gum on a rack next to the cashier.

"Um-Spear. Velia Spear," I said, hoping he would believe it.

He didn't.

"Your real last name," he said raising an eyebrow.

"Cohen. Velia Cohen," I said hesitantly.

"Where do you live?" He asked, smirking.

"There's absolutely no way I'm telling you that," I reply, my voice shaking.

"Tell me or the police come, Velia," he sneered.

"Hey!" A new voice yelled, " Leave her alone!" He finished.