Chapter 2: Keeping secrets

They were kind enough to let me clean up and change before starting our next round of questions, but I knew they would want to discuss and compare what they thought of me. While I was soaking in their tub, Alice bounced into the bathroom with a change of clothes she managed to scrounge up for me. Looking at them as I put them on, I realized they had actually been bought for me, years ago. How ironic.

            Dreading the questions that were bound to come, I trudged down the stairs at human speed. They were all down there and all seemed welcoming and friendly except for one, Edward, he had crammed himself into a corner, remaining far more separated from his family then I had ever known him to be. I was not, however, shaken by his cold manner because I presumed it was because I seemed like the human I once was (especially in the same outfit I had worn once) and he was angered by it, but I sent him a questioning look anyways, just to keep up the act of not knowing them.

            I took a seat across from Carlisle, knowing most of the questions would be coming from him. “Thank you very much, it felt wonderful to be able to take an actual bath. I really wouldn’t want to impose any longer, unless you have any other questions?”

            They all seemed a little surprised at the fact I had no intention of staying, except Edward, he seemed…relieved? I guess he really did hate me, I sighed inwardly.

Most vampires didn’t really enjoy the company of others, but the Cullens had lived as a family for a long time. “I’m sorry, maybe that sounded a little harsh or sudden. It’s just I don’t think it would be…best for your family if I were to stay any longer than necessary.”

            Several furrowed brows met my divulgence. They obviously believe me to be a simple lonely vampire; they had no idea that I was being hunted. Carlisle broke the silence, “by best for us…you mean that you’re dangerous in some way?”

            I couldn’t help but smile at his question. “I don’t want to cause any of you harm, certainly not after the kindness you’ve shown me,” just how much they would never truly understand, “but to put it plainly, I am being tracked by some other vampires that are none too happy with me. They are extremely focused, so I have no doubt that they would leave you be, but being caught up in a confrontation is something I’m sure you don’t want.”

            Seven set of wide eyes looked at me, I knew all of them were reeling at the idea of little ole’ innocent-looking me being hunted by others, but thanks to Alice’s visions I knew I didn’t have much time. “You’re being…tracked?” Alice’s voice was no more than squeak, she sounded aghast.

            I smiled kindly at her, “yes. They really don’t seem to like me, not that I blame them.” I chuckled rather darkly only to receive more wide-eyed looks.

            “Why? What did you do? What could you have done?” Esme appeared to be struggling with the idea that I was not as cute and innocent as I seemed.

            “They don’t like some of my actions, or my methods for that matter.” I smiled to myself, “I think they’re also pretty angry they haven’t been able to catch me yet. They’ve been going at it for years.” I realized a little too late that I now had their attention and it would be even more difficult to leave quickly. Making a split-second decision, I settled myself further into my soft seat; I would just have to finally have my long-awaited confrontation.