Surviving the End

The world has ended. Earthquakes, fires, floods, hurricanes, you name it, has torn up humanity and only a handful of people have survived. 

Among the questionably lucky survivors are 1.5 couples on a doomed highway trip, a cross country runner, and a group of mourners at a funeral that just happened to be in one of the safest places on the earth. At exactly 12:22 on December the 12nd, 2021, a day after the predicted end of the world, these survivors are set apart from everyone else by not dying. Now they have to start a new life in the rubble of everything they’ve ever known. 

Is it only irony that the the cross country runner belonged to a family of survivalists that didn’t survive? Was it just the cruelty of fate that a 16 year old genius on a road trip had to watch his girlfriend die in the flames of their wrecked car, stuck in a jammed seat belt that he had told her to use not 10 minutes before their crash? Then there were the church-goers that lived as they mourned a death.

When the whole world is destroyed against the odds, everyone one alive has a story to tell. Usually, they survived against the odds, or their oddness was the key to their survival. Of course, surviving is only the first half of the challenge.