t w e n t y- t h r e e

Can we appreciate the picture? It's so so cute..

Grayson's POV

One hour later

I walked into her room after everyone were done seeing her. I took a deep breath preparing myself for what I was going to see in couple seconds. She was lying into the hospital's bed looking more fragile than I wanted her to be. I forced a small smile on my lips and taking baby steps revealed myself in front of her.

''Hello.'' I greeted and I saw Hayden's eyes lighten up. She had a collar around her neck, a big white with a small red mark band-aid in her forehead and couple machines sticking in her arms and chest. I wanted to look away, the image too hard for my eyes and broken heart. I hated seeing her so valuable like that.

''Hey,'' She said back and tried to move a little but stopped with a small groan.'' I though you wouldn't come.''

''Why would you think that?'' I asked confused with her statement.

''I thought you would hate me.'' She admitted.

''Hell no, never hated you and never will.'' I told her with a stern voice and look.'' I just... Hayden I was so worry when I heard that you were in an accident. I remembered when we...you know.''

''Yeah...well I didn't mean to do this. I was just not paying attention. I was angry and that guy came out of nowhere.''

''Why were you mad?''

''Because my dad is a selfish dick, that's why.'' Hayden rolled her eyes.'' But whatever, I'm done with him. Please tell me how is my baby?''

''He's very good. We played together, slept. God, he is so adorable. I really love him. I can't get enough of him.'' I told her truthfully and Hayden laughed at me.

''I was hoping for this you know.''

''Hey don't worry.'' I told her. I didn't want her to think about those things on this kind of time. I just wanted her to get well soon and nothing else.'' You have to worry about yourself right now. Those things come second.''

''Thanks.'' She said and yawned.

''I should go, you need rest.''

''Okay, thank you.'' She said closing her eyes slowly. I nodded my head smiling and exited the room fast turning off the lights. Outside I was met by Amelia who was sitting right outside the room. She was all alone.

''Hey.'' I said and sat next to her and stretched my arms.'' She is resting.''

''Alright.'' She nodded her head and closed her eyes for a minute and turned and looked at me.'' I was so scared today. I thought I was going to lose her tonight. I had the exact same feeling I had on that night. When Michaela called me and told me that she was in a car accident I prayed to God that she was alive and whatever happened we would pass it together.''

''Mrs. Amelia I know the feeling.''

''Grayson, I know the things between you and her are a lot complicated but I want you to know that things for her were not easy as you believe.''

''I never said that.''

''I know you didn't, but you did think it. But you're wrong. I was with her through this journey. When she told me she was pregnant I thought that her life was over, that you possibly will abandoned her like every other guy on your age, how would she go through this. But after she told me that she wanted to be a secret to you and move from New Jersey, I hesitated a little.''

''Why?'' I asked her paying close attention to her words.

''Because that baby would grow up without a father. It wasn't the right thing to do, at least it would be okay to let you know first. But I didn't want to upset her or anything and on that time I wasn't even okay and I thought if we would get out of here and go somewhere else we could move on from our shitty life.''

''Did that help?''

''Of course it did. First of all, I found Ryan and my broken heart cured. I believed that Hayden would find someone that could play the role of dad well and stand by her. She would love him and he would love her. But she didn't. Things got more complicated. Things were okay while she was pregnant, she finished school and made some friends.

I don't know if she told you, but she was hit by a car but nothing to worry about but she had to do a c-section. After that she and the baby had to stay into the hospital for a week or so, so the doctors could monitored them. She was a mess, kind of depression. When she came home, the first couple days were hard with a new baby and all. I helped her as much as I could too.''

''I didn't know that much.'' I admitted to her, shocked with what I was hearing.'' I didn't know she went through all these things.''

''Well, yeah she did. She dedicated her life to raise Valentino as good as possible and I think she did a great job. She didn't go out meet new people, do something for her, for Hayden. I told her multiple times but she was negative. She had told me that her life now was Valentino and no one else. She did hang only in the house with Derek here and there but nothing more.'' Amelia said and I nodded my head.

After her speech I realized that I didn't love Hayden, I was in love with her and I wanted to spent my rest life with her. Those kind of girls didn't exist anymore. She was selfless, she would do anything for those she cared and loved and she didn't regret anything.

''She's the best human being I know.'' I told her and I saw her tears run down her cheeks.

''I know,'' She said with a low voice.'' She is the best thing that ever happened to me. If I didn't have her I don't know what I would do. I would be a helpless mess with no excuse of life. From the moment she was born she lit up my life. And seeing her in that hospital bed for the second time almost loosing her once again, I wanted to die.''

She was breaking down. She was breaking down to me, of all people. To me, who I was nothing to her family. To her daughter. And that made me think that she liked me. I didn't know.

''Hey, don't think like this. Hayden is pretty much alive and breathing. She would not go anywhere and I promise you this.'' I told her and I could see a small smile at her face. She leaned and hugged me tight.

''I couldn't ask for a better son-in-law.''

I laughed at her comment.'' I'm not your son-in-law.''

''Yet.''

''Hey what's all that hugging for?'' We turned and I saw Ryan. He had two cups probably filled with coffee and passed one to Amelia.

''Nothing, I was just sad. That's all. Where is everyone else?'' Amelia questioned him and Ryan stood in front of us.

''Down on the cafeteria. Grayson I didn't know if you wanted anything. Sorry.''

''Don't be. I don't want anything, I feel I have a knot on my stomach.'' I admitted and he nodded.

''Alright,'' He said.'' So you're Valentino's dad. I got to say that he looks so much like you.''

''Thanks.''

''I heard so many things for you from Hayden. She wouldn't stop talking about you. I mean, when Valentino was born, she would say how much he looked like you, how happy you would be if you were there....''

''It's true.'' Amelia nodded her head taking a sip from her coffee.

''Well, it would be nice being there. But at least I have him now and I can be with him now.''

''You're right. And don't worry. Hayden had made books for you full of photos of Valentino since the day he was born. She would take a photo of him every single day and put them in the blank paper and write down the day and what he did that day.'' Amelia told me and I couldn't help but smiled like a fool.

Now I was sure that Hayden was the right girl for me.