Back to Life

"The Employee" is now out as a book for anyone who's still waiting for it. The first chapter of it will be up soon. Other than that, enjoy💋

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

"You have got to be kidding me."

You muttered in pure bemusement under your breath as you stood alongside your friend Margaret, staring at the pint-sized figurine that was displayed on a velvet pedestal through the huge glass window.

"C'mon Y/N, this was the only solution I could think of to your problem." Margaret quietly pleaded with you to give it a chance, but you were completely resistant.

"No Margaret, I'm not doing this! I'm not one of your mental ass patients, okay?" You tore your impending glare away from the doll and back to Margaret. "I don't need any of your psychological help. I'm fine."

You didn't have a problem. You weren't like all the other people your friend has dealt with in her line of work who had problems with facing reality, and who were mentally estranged.

Well, at least that's what you kept on telling yourself.

You felt as if your situation was incomparable to theirs, even though there were more similarities than you thought.

After the tragic death of a person who had meant so much to you not only musically but also because of his spontaneous persona that had lend you the courage to express your individuality, you could barely deal with life anymore.

For the past few months after his unbelievable passing, you've locked yourself away from the world; consistently playing track after track of Prince songs in your average apartment, while gawking aimlessly at the many posters of him plastered upon your four bedroom walls.

All the numbers in the entire world could not count how many times you've cried yourself dry in the past dreadful days, or how many times you've tried to drown out your pained emotions with the blaring background noise of his soothing voice in your ear.

But it was enough for your close friend to finally notice your unusual behavior and forcefully drag you out into public, only for her to pull you into some idiotic nonsense such of now that you wanted no part of.

Before she could utter a word, you began walking away; your thick beige trench coat wrapped tightly around you as Margaret quickly came after you.

"Y/N, wait!" Unfortunately, she caught up to you rather fast and you were forced to face her once again as she tugged roughly unto your arm.

Margaret's ebony eyes were laced with concern, her brows furrowed in a condescending way. "Look, I'm worried about you Y/N. I know how hard it was for you the day Prince passed, but you have to realize that life goes on--"

Just as those words were released from her mouth, you instantly  became infuriated; cutting her off with a quickness.

"Margaret, just leave me alone! I've heard enough shit from my family, I don't need to hear anymore from you!" Your sudden outburst gained the wild looks of bypassers who were walking around the outside court, while Margaret's eyes grew wide.

A part of you regretted going off on her like that, it truly wasn't any of her fault. You knew she was just trying to be a good friend and her intentions were all truly innocent. At the same time, you wished she could just let the topic drop. It was bad enough that your parents were insistently patronizing you, constantly telling you to get over it and that Prince was just another pop star who's days were coming to an end anyways.