Ch. 16 (PG-13, L): Revelations at Lady Lizzie's Ball

Start from the beginning

Then as other couples join us on the ballroom's dance floor, I notice that our brother Lord Harold has made an appearance—looking a little chastened after my fist connected with his jaw after last week's Kimball Ball. But the bruising has faded sufficiently for him to be in society this evening. But I trust that he will not forget my correction for some time. And I hope that he behaves this this evening.

And then Duncan, the Viscount Lindsay [(6) right]--heir to the Duke of  [York]—wanders over to chat with my Grandmother the Dowager Countess of Sussex. And I see him bow to Lady Madeline and extend his arm. She nods her head and sets down her ices cup. Then she rises and takes Lord Duncan's hand and they begin to waltz for the remainder of this set. Though I know that Lady Madeline had forsworn any interest in Lord Duncan due to my sister Lady Lizzie having a tendre for him since she was but a slip of a girl, I still do not like seeing them dancing together. Lord Duncan looks too tall—and presents a disdainfully regal countenance to others, as if he were already the Duke. I would not say that I am jealous, but I most undoubtedly am jealous. Then they maneuver their waltzing near to my sister Lizzie and I.

Lord Duncan: "Lord Sussex! And Lady Elizabeth! Your ball is delightful! I hope that I might claim two dances, Lady Elizabeth?" I ask hopefully of the belle of tonight's ball. And Lady Madeline is a good sport for agreeing to dance with me whilst I try to procure the favor of another. She merely smiles at me as I give her an apologetically sheepish grin.

Lady Lizzie: "That will be lovely, Lord Lindsay." I respond formally and flutter my lashes as my eyes lower bashfully. My heart is beating wildly with Duncan the Viscount Lindsay's invitation to dance—not one dance, but two! "Thank you. I am promised to my brother Lord Harold for the next. But after that, my dance card is open." Because every supplicant for a dance must first be approved by my brother Lord Christian.

Lord Duncan: "Splendid! And might I also be so fortunate as to escort you into supper later?"

Christian, Lord Sussex: "I believe that I have that charge." I bristle protectively about my sister Lady Lizzie. I like Lord Duncan, I do. But I do not want Lizzie pinning her hopes on that he will court her, let alone offer her marriage. I am not being harsh regarding my sister Lizzie's prospects. But she is so very young and innocent, that I cannot believe that a man of Duncan's years and experience would find her engaging. Lizzie still needs to come into her own and develop more confidence. And perhaps my betrothed Lady Madeline will aid in my sister's maturation—since my betrothed seems to mature daily in my eyes, much as she lightheartedly chinks away at my armour of responsibility and softening my somewhat brusk demeanor.

Lord Duncan: "Yet you have your lovely betrothed Lady Madeline, Lord Sussex. You cannot sequester all of the lovely young ladies here this evening." I smile devilishly at Lady Lizzie and her face instantly blushes a pinkish peach sometimes found in sunsets or dawns—charmingly so.

Lady Madeline: "Oh, Lord Sussex." I appeal formally to my betrothed, since we are not in private or en famille. "Please let the good Viscount take Lady Elizabeth into supper. We must allow her to spread her wings at least a little tonight, since this is her presentation ball."

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Hmmm." I glower. I have not yet ascertained Lord Duncan's level of sincere interest in my sister Lady Lizzie. Though I know that she believes herself to be in love with him. That could merely be a childhood infatuation that she has yet to outgrow.

Lady Lizzie: "Oh please, Christy? May Lord Duncan escort me into supper later?" I plead for mercy with my eldest and sometimes overbearing brother Lord Christian. And unconsciously, I have slipped into a more familiar mode of address befitting our families' long intimacy through my brother and the Viscount being friends.