Ch. 16 (PG-13, L): Revelations at Lady Lizzie's Ball

Start from the beginning

Lord Forsyte: "That is a very fine ring, My Dear. It shows good taste on your part—for the ring and for your betrothed. Lord Sussex, you have made your parents and grandparents proud in choosing so fair and gracious a lady to become your Countess." He smiles knowingly

Lord Christian bows for the honor of the elder man's compliment to his bride and himself.

Lady Forstye: "Yes, indeed. Our youngest son Lord William the Baron Forsyte will have been sorry to have missed the chance to capture the heart of so fair a maiden." Then she thinks that Lady Madeline does seem young, and must be no older than Lady Lizzie's seven and ten years.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Oh? Is Lord William joining us tonight? I have not seen him for an age. And I welcome renewing our friendship."

Lady Forsyte: "He is still traveling to London. But our son is finally back in England from his expeditions to Egypt. And I hope that he will stay put for a while." Said like the doting mother she is.

Lady Madeline: My curiosity has gotten the better of me and I blurt out. "Egypt? Why did he travel there?" I am mad for all things of Egypt." At least, I think I am. Or maybe it is the Greeks that I love. It is so confusing when the Egyptian royalty during Cleopatra's time of the Ptolomies (after Alexander the Great) were Greek [(5)] . I wonder that they were not viewed as an amalgamation of the two heritages--Greektian or Egypeek? I will have to ask Lord Christian, my betrothed, about the countries later—or perhaps this Lord William, if he ever presents himself.

Lord Forsyte: "Some fol-der-rol with the British Museum seeking treasures from one of the pyramids." I wave my hand dismissively. "He is a curator of antiquities there." Lord Forsyte smiles, him thinking that younger sons, however titled they might be, often feel the need to have an occupation for their minds.

And his son, Lord William the Baron of Forsyte is just such a man. Though at night, Lord William exercises parts other than his brain in London Society.

Lady Madeline: "How exciting!" I smile broadly at the old distinguished gentleman and then up at my fiancé Lord Christian.

I smile indulgently down at my betrothed Lady Madeline for her interest in Egypt and in Lord William the Baron Forsyte. However, I would not wish her to become too enthused by the youngest Forsyte. Lord William's academic career is in stark contrast with his social reputation of being a rakish heart breaker. And though he is generally a good man, I would not leave Lord William alone with either my sister nor my intended.

The receiving line proceeds along much the same lines for another half hour—with more brief conversations for mere acquaintances as we welcome them to my sister's presentation ball and I introduce my intended Lady Madeline. Then we begin the dancing by my leading my sister Lady Lizzie to the center of the Sussex House Ballroom as the orchestra strikes up a waltz. I am glad that Lady Madeline has been patient with us this week as I helped my sister Lizzie practice her dance steps. I want Lizzie feeling confident about her dancing skills for her other partners this evening. Afterall, this is Lizzie's ball and I want her to enjoy it.

I glance over to my soon to be bride Lady Madeline whilst I am waltzing with my sister. Lady Madeline is sitting on the sidelines chatting with her Grandmama Lady Knott and my Grandmother Lady Catherine Blount, the Dowager Countess of Sussex—after getting them each ices, without mishap, I think bemusedly. Lady Madeline and I share a knowing smile about the ices as she gazes at me over the lip of her own ices cup. I believe that she will never let me forget my bashing into her and causing her to drop one of her ices cups at Lady Lavendar's presentation ball. Of course, that is how Lady Madeline and I met, so I will indulge her remembrances of it.