The Bet - Poignant Confession

Depuis le début

“Sophia, I see how Drake looks at you, especially when you’re not aware of it,” Cassidy says thoughtfully. “I know it’s not just infatuation, but the real thing. I wanted him to gaze at me the same way, but I’m wishing for the impossible. You already captured his heart. I found out about that when I asked him to meet me. The way he talked about you, the way his eyes lit up when he said your name, I knew then that he truly loves you. And there’s nothing I can do to change that.”

 What is she talking about?

 Cassidy waits for me to respond, but my lips are locked, I can’t even utter a single syllable.

 She frowns, and then sighs, like a true cheerleader. “See you around,” she says, walking away, leaving me staring at her retreating figure.

~*~*~*~*~

 Every morning, when I open my locker, I always get a note. They are reminders of the past. I wonder how Drake remembers the things we talked about. And how did he get this idea?

 If two people are meant to be together, it doesn’t mean they have to be together right now.

 I said that when we watched Serendipity. That was one of the first times we were alone. After that, he helped me paint my room in Andre’s house.

 The next day:

 Life is ironic. It flows the way we don’t plan it. Unexpected things happen. One move can change your life forever.

 That’s from our topic in Literature, when Parker became our substitute teacher. It feels like a long time ago. . .

 And then:

 We can’t help who we fall in love with. It’s even surprising when you find out that everything you want is not going according to plan.

Days passed, but Drake and I still don’t talk. Even when I see Andre in school, I quickly walk out of the way before he can corner me.

 I know that I’ll find Drake’s little notes when I open my locker but I can’t help myself to read them. They make me remember of what happened between us.

 Falling in love with you is something I had not expected. Being in love with you is something I could not stop, even if I tried.

He said that to me on my birthday. A sudden thought comes to my mind. What if everything he said were all true? He did a lot of unexpected things for me; to make me happy.

Wait.

Don’t think about that, I remind myself. Don’t buckle because of those notes!

I’m getting tired of talking to myself, but I don’t want to appear weak. I need renewed strength to be brave to face each day without him on my side.

 “You know you look like a walking Zombie, don’t you?”

 “Don’t remind me,” I mutter.

 Driana sighs. “I know you’re still mad at my twin, but don’t let it get to you.” She holds my arm and raises it. “Look, you’re losing weight! You have to be strong, and you can lean on me when you can’t take it anymore.”

 “Thank you,” I say gratefully. Until now, I can’t believe I told Driana everything. “How are you and Andre?”

 “We haven’t talked, and I keep ignoring him.” She shrugs, like she doesn’t care, but she can’t fool me.