Torin stroked her mini hat. "It's sort of my thing."

Caleb filled the space between Ariella and Torin. He looked even angrier than Ariella. "What you did was not cool, sis."

Torin's eyes toured Caleb's attire. "Because you're such a pro when it comes to cool."

Caleb didn't even flinch. "You can make fun of me all you want, but just because you don't get my style, that doesn't make it lame. I like my outfits, and no amount of jokes is going to stop me from wearing them."

Ariella cast her eyes down, guilty of making her own jokes. Most of them she never said out loud, but now she regretted even thinking them. Since the first day she met Caleb she'd been ridiculing his designs when all he'd ever done was be nice and supportive of her. He may not have worn the coolest gear according to her taste, but he was one of the coolest guys she had ever known.

"These are my friends," Caleb continued. "So get used to them because I'm going to hang out with them whether you like it or not."

Torin tossed her hair in frustration. "Well, I don't. And I won't. Even if I do love that jacket."

Ariella took off her blazer and handed it to her. "Here. Just tell everyone where you got it."

Torin stared down at Ariella's black bowed heels. "I also really like your shoes."

"You're pushing it."

Torin hung the blazer over her shoulder on a finger. "Thanks," she muttered. From the sour look on her face, Ariella guessed that word wasn't normally a part of her vocabulary. "But I still don't have to like you." She whipped around and walked out. With an Ariella original. Who would have thought Torin would be her first fan?

"Don't sweat it," Caleb said. "It took her fourteen years to like me. She never admitted it, but I can tell I'm growing on her."

Ariella turned to her friends, grateful for people like them to back her up. "Thanks for your help, guys. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you."

"That's what friends are for." Mae hugged Ariella around her waist. "We stick by each other." Ariella's family walked in looking beyond confused and ready for answers. "Bye." Mae let go of Ariella and her three friends scurried out.

Ariella wrung her fingers, imitating the wringing of her stomach. "I guess I owe you an explanation."

Her dad looked the most upset. "Hopefully it'll be at a rate much faster than Mae's presentation."

This was it. The moment she wasn't waiting for. She knew she couldn't hide her secret forever, so getting it out now was probably for the best. That's what she told herself to prevent any more wacky plots from formulating in her head. That was one lesson learned. "I made up the whole science fair so I wouldn't have to tell you about my fashion show."

Her mom looked hurt. "Why wouldn't you want to tell us about your fashion show?"

Here was the hard part. "Because then I'd have to tell you that I don't plan on becoming an astronomer. I want to be a fashion designer."

Her dad sighed. She knew it. He hated the idea. Might as well pack up her suitcase and get ready for astronomy boot camp. "Why didn't you just tell us?"

"I know how much you were hoping I'd follow in your footsteps. You bought me my first telescope when I was five. You even named a star after me."

Her parents exchanged looks. Her dad slapped his knuckles in his palm and her mother touched her mouth. They were hiding something. The last time this happened they broke the news that Santa wasn't real and that red velvet cake was just dyed chocolate. That was a rough year for her. "We're sorry to tell you this, but we later found out that the Ariella star belongs to Leo and is actually called Wolf 359. You see, it's a red dwarf about..." Her dad caught the blank look on Ariella's face. "You have no idea what that means do you?"

Ariella wilted and hung her head low. "I must be a big disappointment to you."

Her mom took her hands. "Honey, we could never be disappointed in you for following your dreams. If being a fashion designer is really what you want, then we support you. No matter what, you will always be our star."

Ariella's face brightened. "Really?"

Her parents nodded. "I think your outfit looks stunning, by the way." Her mom felt the hand-sewn hems of Ariella's sleeves.

"Except lose the solar system," Ren critiqued. "It clashes with the hue of that shirt." She looked at their surprised faces. "What? I have a life."

Ariella wrapped both arms around her family as they headed for the door. "I love you guys. I promise to always be open about my dreams from now on."

"Have you ever thought about creating a dress out of moon rocks?" her dad asked.

Ariella laughed. "I think you should leave the designing to me, Dad."

A huge world—or nine—rolled off of Ariella's shoulder pads. Not only did her parents know about her dreams, but they supported them. They even seemed excited for her. If she would have known it would have gone that well, she would have ripped off the band-aid sooner. Now that they knew the truth, she was free to finally be herself. No more hiding, and definitely no more lab coats. Her future was in her own hands now. What was she so afraid of? She had the coolest parents on the planet.

***

What's next for Ariella? Stay tuned to find out!

-Love, Charly