Chapter 52 : Sleeping Beauty

Start from the beginning

"Cali is so big now, you're not going to believe it's her when you see her." Clayton says. "Well I did miss out three years of her life." I say. "Actually we took videos for you and put them in a video just so you wouldn't miss out." Joc says. I smile, "But we don't get to watch it here. We'll watch it tonight after the game at Dodger Stadium." Kiké adds.

"But I don't think I'm safe to go home just yet." I say. "Doctors are letting us borrow you for the day, with some guidance." Joc says motioning to a familiar face by the doorway. "Is that you Danny!" I say smiling. Danny nods and walks into the room. "Good to see you alive and doing well." Danny says hugging me. I smile at him, "You look great!" I say. "Thank you, I've been trying to lose weight so when you wake up you won't even recognize me." Danny jokes. I shake my head and he smiles. "Doctors said  to have her back by eleven so we better get going so we can have as much as time with Julia." Danny says. Joc nods in agreement and Chase leaves the room to get a wheelchair.

~*~
Once we were at the field Joc rolls me onto the field. "Is that who I think it is?" I hear Trayce's voice behind me. I turn around and see Trayce. "No way!" Trayce says hugging me. "You look great!" He says smiling. "Thank you, you do too. Considering that you aged three years." I say. Trayce smiles and grabs his bat from Kiké who hands it to him. "Nice to have you back." Trayce says before jogging to home plate to hit.

"There she is!" Dave says as he walks towards me. "Good to see you Dave." I say as he leans down to hug me. "You look great." I say. "No that's all you." He says motioning to me. I chuckle, "Thank you." Dave nods, "I'm guessing Joc got you caught up." I nod, "We're going to show her the video we made after the game." Joc says. Dave nods and pats me on the shoulder. "Good to see you out of that bed of yours." He says before leaving.

"Are you sure Corey is here?" I ask. Joc nods and he rolls me towards home plate to watch batting practice. "Whoa. Julia your back!" Someone says behind me. I turn and face Charlie. "Good to see you up and around." He says smiling. I smile at him, "It's good to see you." I say. Charlie nods and places a hand on my shoulder. "You look good for being asleep for three years." Charlie says. I smile, "Thank you."

~*~
After the game we all begin to set up pillows and blankets on the grass to watch the video the boys made for me. "Hi Julia." Someone says tapping my shoulder. I turn around and face the handsome face I get to call mine. "Corey!" I say opening my arms so he can hug me. Corey chuckles and pulls me into a hug. I smile at him and he sits down on the blanket next to me.

Joc and Chase help me out of my wheelchair to sit down on the grass next to Corey and Kiké. They start the film and it starts at the game they won the world series. Corey hit a single between left and center field scoring two runners. Then Justin comes up to bat and clears the bases with a three run homerun. Then it was down to the last out with a runner on first and one out. A grounder was hit to Chase, Chase turned two, Corey caught it and turned one, and they won.

I smile and the video changes to the parade. "This one is for Vin!" Joc yells into the microphone. The crowd cheers and Vin goes up to the microphone to speak. "This year a good friend of ours named Julia Pederson got in a car accident and is now in a coma.   This World Series win is for you, for her hard working as she trained our boys to be their best." Vin says before shaking Joc's hand and sitting down. I smile and wipe the tear that fell down my cheek.

"You may now kiss the bride." A pastor said as Kiké pulled Mariana into a kiss. I chuckle and nudge Kiké who sat next to me. Kiké smiles and the screen changes into Joc in front of a house. "We moved!" He yelled as the camera turns to the big house. They give a quick house tour then the screen changes. It was now on Corey. "Will you marry me?" He says. I frown once I see a girl in front of him saying yes as he was down on one knee.

I turn to Corey in disbelief and he gives me the 'i'm very sorry' look. "Take me to the hospital." I say loud enough for Joc to hear. "But the video isn't done." Trayce says turning to me. "I don't care, take me back." I say looking down at my lap.

"I got her." Corey says grabbing my hand. "Don't touch me." I say jerking away from his touch. Kiké and Clayton help me up into the wheelchair.

"Just let me explain." Corey says. "You promised!" I say. "And what exactly did I promise?" Corey asks. "I promise you this Julia. I promise that I won't make the same mistakes, I promise that I will always love you even when you get on my nerves, I promise to make time for you, I promise you that I won't give up on us, and I promise that I will stand by your side through the hard and easy times." I say remembering the same words he told me three years ago.

Corey frowns, "And you promised to drive safe. I guess promises are meant to be broken." "It wasn't my fault that the truck driver doesn't know between red, yellow, and green!" I yell.

Corey crosses his arms and everyone's eyes were now on us. "I waited for two years. I met this girl named Britney, she was nice and didn't care that I played baseball for a living. She wasn't you, but she did try to be. I still went to the hospital everyday, I still went to visit you everyday hoping you'd be awake. I wanted to start a family, I wanted to get married already and be settled down." Corey says.

"Corey you're only 25! You're so young and you have much time to start a life with someone!" I say. Corey sighs, "You don't get it." "No I do get it, you want to have a son to keep the seager family line in baseball." I say rolling my eyes. "I don't want to hear lame excuses. Joc can we just leave?" I ask. Joc nods and I turn to Corey. I dig into my purse and take out the one thing that made it out of car accident besides me and my purse.

I remove the promise ring Corey gave to me and stare at it long enough to go through all the memories I had with Corey. "Keep your stupid promise breaking ring." I say tossing it at Corey.
Corey catches it and frowns. Joc begins to roll me away and sigh in defeat.

~*~
The next day doctors announced I was well enough to go home just as long as I came back once a week for check ups and if I couldn't walk I would have to go to physical therapy until I learned how to.

I was pretty good at walking, but I just couldn't do it for long periods of time. "Hey." Clayton says as I climb into his car. "Hi." I say quietly as the volunteer workers place the wheelchair into the trunk.

"You okay?" Clayton asks. I nod and he smiles at me. "Where to?" He asks. "Does Corey still live with Joc?" I ask. Clayton nods, "Okay. Anywhere except for Joc's house." I say. "I'll take you to Kiké's." Clayton says. I nod and he begins to drive towards Kiké's house.

~*~
Once we get there Kiké helps me inside along with Clayton who strolls my wheelchair behind me incase I needed a break. I make it the front door and sigh as my body drops into the wheelchair. "I may have to go to that Physical Therapy they mentioned." I say chuckling. Kiké laughs and Clayton rolls me into the house.

"Thank you Clayton." I say. Clayton nods and hugs me before waving goodbye to Kiké. Once Clayton leaves Kiké helps me onto the couch where we begin to watch One Tree Hill on Netflix. The doorbell rings and Kiké stands up, "It must be Mariana." He says walking to the front door.

I heard talking at the doorway and I sigh standing up to see who it is. "She doesn't want to see you." Kiké says. "Julia!" Corey yells once he sees me. I look down at my feet before walking to Kiké's side. "I'm not taking any visitors, sorry." I say before slamming the door in Corey's face.