Chapter 12

Previously

"We won the match" Remus continued, looking into his eyes while Lily looked confused. "But your broom, it hit the ground."

"It's broken?" He whispered quietly, not wanting to believe what was happening.

Remus nodded once.

"It snapped in half."

Lily Evans  was scared. It was something she hated to admit. But watching James Potter have a panic attack was definitely one of the most frightening things she had ever seen.

His eyes were wide and unfocused, full of unshed tears. He had pulled his feet up to his chest and had buried his face in his knees.

Sirius, Remus and Peter stood around him, gently trying to pry his hands away from his legs.

He was shaking.

The realisation broke her out of her trance.  She stepped forward and lightly tapped Remus on his shoulder.

"I can calm him down." She whispered quietly.

Remus stared at her for a long moment before nodding at Sirius for confirmation. The three marauders simultaneously stepped back and gave her space.

She put her hand on James' hand, softly tracing words on it. It was a game she and Petunia used to play before she got accepted into Hogwarts. They would take turns writing words with their fingers on each other's hands while the other guessed the word.

I really like you James Potter.

She heard a sharp intake of breath from the boy curled up in front of her and she could only assume that he had gotten her message. She didn't stop writing though. As if in a trance, she began tracing the words of her favourite muggle song on his hand.

Mamma mia, here I go again.

My my, how can I resist you?

Before she could continue to the next line, James slowly lifted his head and removed his hands from his legs, instead placing them on his face. 

Letting out a long sigh he quietly mumbled. "Thank you Lily."

She was struck by the sincerity in his tone. She had never thought that there would be a day when James Potter would thank her.

Sirius beamed at her before turning to James.

"You okay mate?"

James let out a small chuckle. 

"You know how much I hate it when you ask me that don't you?"

Sirius gave him an over-exaggerated wink before sitting on the bed.

"Scoot over."

James groaned and removed his hands from his face.

"Bullocks. Where is Madam Pomfrey when you need her?"

Lily grinned while pushing James onto Sirius.

"Come on, let the lady sit."  

"Of course. Wormtail! The devil wishes you to sit!" James said, smirking as Sirius howled with laughter.

Lily pouted and turned to face James when she realised how close his face was to hers. His dark hair fell to his eyes, tickling her forehead as they did so. She just had to raise her face a little and-

"Out. Out!" Madam Pomfrey yelled, bustling into the infirmary.

Lily blushed as she jerked back, almost falling off the bed.

"Mr. Potter needs to rest his head! Not fool around!"

Lily turned to James to see a disappointed look on his face. 

"I'll- I'll see you later." She squeaked, before practically sprinting out into the corridors of Hogwarts.