Chapter 6 - {Peeta's POV, District Twelve}

Hey guys, this chapter is from Peeta's POV because I love Peeta and because he's not in the Games with Katniss and I didn't want to leave him out! Next chapter will be back to Katniss and Gale though!

Read! Comment! Vote! Enjoy!

XOXO, Emmy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Peeta's POV, District Twelve}

The train had left the district to go to the Capital. She was gone and the only time I would see her again was on a television screen. She was never coming back. Unless she made it out alive, which even if she did, that means Gale would be dead and she would want to be. I had always been jealous of Gale and now that she knew how I feel about her, it was too late.

I kept my head bowed, watching the ground as I strieded along the dirt path back to the bakery. I had left from my shift without letting anyone know where I was going. I was in for a good yelling at when I returned. Mother was always very strict when it came to running the bakery, or more like making money. I needed to take a long walk to sort the thoughts that ran through my head. But most of those thoughts were Katniss.

I walked for another couple blocks, staring down not knowing, or caring, where I was going. Once my legs were tired and were about to give up on me, I stopped and looked up. My feet had taken me to the Everdeen house where I could hear the sounds of a little girl's cries.

Should I turn back? I shouldn't be here. But I want to be. It feels like a place where I was meant to be right now. So I allowed myself to follow the narrow dirt path that led to the little broken down house. Or I guess it was more of a hut.

 Turn back. You don't know her family. You can't help them. What will you say? Is all that ran through my mind. I ignored the idea of turning back. Maybe I could help. With both Katniss and Gale being gone, how was Mrs. Everdeen suppose to support or feed Katniss' sister, Prim. If they accept my assistance, I could steal some goods from the bakery. I had gotten the family bread once before and I can do it once again.

I stepped up to the old wooden door and knocked three times. I waited as I herd the sound of feet slowly stepping towards the door. Moments later a lock was flipped and the door opened. It was Prim. Katniss' little sister. One of the only she ever cared about anymore.

She was a small twelve-year-old and looked up to me with deep, blue ocean eyes. Prim didn't resemble her sister, but her mother. They shared pale, white skin, gold, blond hair and deep blue eyes. Kind of like me. I had blond hair and blue eyes but my hair was more of a sandy blond and my eyes a brighter blue. Katniss and Gale had more of the Seam look.

"Hello," she said in a small shaky voice.

"Hello, Prim. My name is Peeta Mellark. You might know my father-," I was cut off.

"The baker. Katniss has told me a bit about you. You make really good bread," she said sweetly.

"Panem's best," I said jokingly to her.

"Why are you here? Katniss isn't here anymore," she said trying not to cry.

"I know. That's why I'm here. I guess I feel...sort of responsible to help you with her being...away," I explained.

"You don't owe us anything," she said.

"I know. But I want to. Is your mother here? Is she okay? May I speak with her?" I asked.

"She's not really in a state to see anyone at the moment. But come inside," she offered, stepping aside for me to enter.

I nodded gratefully and walked in with her.

"Have a seat. I will see if I can get my mother down," she explained, gesturing to a small living room with two couch's and a chair.

"Thank you," I said, taking a seat on a couch.

She left the room and I could hear her footsteps up the stairs.

I looked around and saw how different this little home was from the bakery. Especially the kitchen in the other room. It was very small and could probably fit two people inside. But I guess they didn't need a huge place for a small family.

My thoughts were interrupted by a women who looked very much like Prim walking towards the couch across from me. Mrs. Everdeen was a small, slim lady and Prim was right, she didn't look up to her best at the moment. She must be smart and have something to help sooth her pain, being the Seam's healer. She sat down and looked at me with worry in her eyes.

"Your the baker's son?" She asked.

"Peeta Mellark," I nodded, offering my hand to her.

She shook it and put on a small smile and I knew that was hard she could do.

"Are you sick? Need medical attention? Medicine?" she asked.

"No. I'm not here for your healing abilities. I'm here to help you and Prim," I explained.

"I don't understand. With what?" she asked.

"Everything. Food. Comfort. Cleaning. Anything," I ranted.

"That's very sweet, Peeta, but you have your own things to take care of like the bakery. You shouldn't be bothered with out problems," she said.

"But I want to. Please, I was suppose to be going into the games with her, not him. If it was me, I bet her would be here handing you game from the woods every day, but he's not. So I want to help," I said.

"You mean Gale?" she asked.

I nodded.

"Well I think that's very kind, thank you. I believe Prim would love your being here," she said.

My face lit up and a smile spread cross my face.

"It's getting late though. Maybe you could swing by tomorrow morning and help Prim sell her goat's milk in the market? Katniss would usually do that with her," she explained.

"Of course. I'll bring some bread with me for breakfast," I told her as I stood from my seat.

She me goodbye and I yelled a goodbye to Prim upstairs before I left, closing the door behind me.