Chapter 7 - Sharing a dreamland

Start from the beginning

''What the..? No!!!'' I groaned but it was of no use. I kicked once at the door and then dropped onto the bed, frustated and annoyed.

Monster.

''I know I am!!'' He shouted from behind the door.

My mouth dropped open instantly. How did he read my mind?!

I couldn't suppress the goofy smile that broke through next. He knew me so well.

---------------

I watched Tara mumble something incoherent in sleep as I put her down and then slowly get back to her deep slumber. Manik and I had gone out after cleaning up only to realise we had very much become the butt of all jokes in the entire house. We shared equal amount of scowls and glowers the entire day, blaming each other for it. After dinner, everyone retired to their rooms to get some much needed rest before the Mehndi event the next day.
Manik had suddenly disappeared around then and I had carried back a tired Tara who had fallen asleep on the dinner table itself, back to our bedroom. I looked at the content look on my child's face and smiled to myself - the glow on her chubby little face had doubled ever since her father come back.

But where is the father now? I looked around feeling a little uneasy.. Knowing Manik, he was very much capable of causing havoc. I tucked Tara properly under the covers and slowly tiptoed outside.. the corridors were dimly lit and sounds of gentle snoring and some whispers were all that one could hear.
I was passing one of the large windows in the house, facing the vast front yard when I noticed a figure seated on one of the benches there. Him and his stars. I shook my head and bit back a grin.

It was chilly outside and I shivered a little despite being wrapped in a thick shawl. I rubbed my arms to warm them and made way to the bench where he was seated.

He watched the sky with the most angelic of expression.. As if he was incapable of doing anything wrong. Well.. I knew better.
''Beautiful night hmm?'' I asked in an indifferent tone ignoring the sudden rush of emotions, raising my head and taking in the decked night sky.

''Until now.'' He snapped within a fraction of a second.

But of course.. Angelic and Manik Malhotra were opposites. I pulled a face and slumped on the opposite end of the bench, making no effort to conceal my grumpy expression. Any tenderness I was feeling for him earlier died right there.

I looked at the sky and tried diverting my attention instead. After five minutes of star-gazing, I was already feeling so much better. The sudden sound of snoring made me look to my side. The monster had slouched back completely and was now seeming like he was in deep sleep. ''Such a baby.'' I muttered. He was dressed in a loose cotton tshirt that obviously did nothing to keep away the cold. Without thinking much, I slid to his side. No matter how annoyed I was with him, I couldn't let him fall sick in the cold or because of sheer exhaustion.. he had travelled all the way from New York to India and didn't even take any rest after coming.

''Manik..'' I whispered in the gentlest of tones, cupping his sleeping face. ''Manik..utho..'' I repeated.

Touching him like this made me feel like we never had a fight, it made me feel like I had a right on him again.. like this big baby belonged only to me.

''Nandini..'' he uttered and smiled to himself. He didn't open his eyes, but sleepily placed his head on my shoulder. He then wrapped his arms around me, trying to derive warmth from me and buried his face into the crook of my neck. I was surprised at his sudden manoeuvres but it also made my heart soar. It felt like he missed me as much I missed him too.

I let myself enjoy this feeling for another minute, and then decided that it was actually high time we retire to bed.

''Manik.. chalo baba.. lets go and sleep in the bedroom.'' I nudged him but he didn't move an inch, only digging deeper into my neck.

''Achha, then you keep sleeping.. I'm going back.'' I warned him like he were Tara and tried pushing him off. 

''No.. don't leave me please. Please don't go..'' he mumbled desperately, his speech half intelligible and his hold around me tightened inadvertently. I had no option but to comply now. I spread my shawl over both of us as much as possible, given the restricted position I was in and snuggled into him.

The morning would bring back the feelings of anger and frustation, I knew. But he just seemed so vulnerable and innocent when he surrendered himself like this. My mind felt calm all of a sudden and my heart full.. Yes, I didn't mind sharing his dream land tonight.

~Together is a wonderful place to be~