Ch. 15 (PG): Betrothal Ring and Such

Start from the beginning

Dowager Countess of Sussex: "Come in, come in. Oh! It's is you, Christy!" She smiles lovingly. "I thought that it might be the girls." By which she refers to her granddaughter Lady Elizabeth known as Lizzie en famille, and her grandson Lord Christy's betrothed Lady Madeline Sinclair.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "No." He chuckles. "It is just me, Grandmother." He smiles and strides toward her sitting in her favorite cushioned wing chair. "Lizzie seems to be with Lady Madeline and Harold is ... well somewhere. So you shall have only me for tea with you, today."

Dowager Countess of Sussex: "Your joining me alone for tea is never a just, dear boy." Lord Christian smiles boyishly at her—despite his thirty years--and the mantle of Earl now settled upon his broad shoulders—Lord Christian is still a young man in need of guidance and support now and again. "And both Lizzie and Lady Madeline are expected for tea. Lizzie promised that they would not be late." She looks a bit perturbed.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Yes, well, the ladies have their shopping and such to do, I expect—what with Lizzie's presentation ball being this coming Friday." He hints derisively—him not truly knowing where his sister is, but trusting that his Grandmother knows. And he is correct.

Dowager Countess of Sussex: "Oh no, Lizzie is all sorted out." Lord Christian raises his eye brow in curiosity. "Lizzie has gone with Lady Madeline to St. Timothy's Church, for their soup kitchen and children's nursery for the working mothers."

Lord Christian quickly stands in agitation and worry.

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Alone? Without a chaperone to protect their safety?" Lizzie and Lady Madeline could be set upon by thieves, thugs, or worse. An unprotected lady or woman in the depths of London's poverty stricken districts is a target too tempting for miscreants to miss—and Lord Christian knows this all too well.

Dowager Countess of Sussex: Patting his arm, Lady Sussex attempts to soothe her grandson. "Now be at ease, Christy. I believe that Lady Knott has sent two footmen with them. And they are traveling in the smaller carriage to avoid notice."

Christian, Lord Sussex: "But Lizzie and Lady Madeline can not be cooking for the destitute, nor tending to their children's needs, are they? I know for a fact that Lizzie does not even know how to boil water." He looks at his grandmother incredulously.

Dowager Countess of Sussex: "No, they are ladling out food and passing out donated clothes—it is so cold this time of year for the destitute, especially the poor children." She sighs. "And though well bred young ladies are not conversant with kitchens, even I know how to boil water—so I can make tea [(2)]." Then she ruminates. "I did it once, in the fifties, I think. " She refers to the 1750's. When I was a young girl. We were visiting our cottage South of London and our cook had gone to fetch more foodstuffs supplies, and Mama wanted her tea early. So I heated water in a sauce pan on the stove and poured the hot water into the tea pot and added the black tea leaves."

Christian, Lord Sussex: "Well! That is an accomplishment, Grandmother!" He smiles and sits back down, calmed by knowing that his sister and intended are expected shortly from their do gooding.

Dowager Countess of Sussex: "Only partially, because I had forgotten to strain the tea leaves. And Mama, her so not wanting to make me feel badly about my poor efforts, drank the tea—leaves and all."

Lord Christian smiles indulgently at his Grandmother. Then he looks over at the teapot next to her—wondering.

Dowager Countess of Sussex: Picking up the tea strainer, she smiles. "Do not worry, Christy. I will not require you to drink tea leaves." He smiles sheepishly.