eleven

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name."

Hailee and the rest of The Ducks got the news that Hans had died. They all attended the funeral. The first person Hailee saw was Charlie, but he looked so distraught, she didn't say a word to him.

Hailee was stood in between Julie and Connie. Stood behind her were Luis and Adam, which was all she wanted in a situation like this.

Hailee only noticed Coach Bombay was there when he pulled out Hans' jersey. He placed it on top of coffin. "Every time you touched the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly."

Hailee wiped away a tear. She could hear Julie whimpering beside her. She placed a bouquet of roses on top of the jersey before opening out her arms. Hailee and Connie huddled closer to Julie, and she pulled them into an embrace.

Once they'd pulled away, she felt someone tap her shoulder. Hailee spun around to see Luis. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

She shook her head and turned her back on him. Hailee watched Gordon come up to her and pull her into a hug.

Luis' heart snapped. He rubbed the back of his neck before walking away.

***

"Hey, it's Coach Bombay!" Dwayne yelled once he saw his old coach.
"Damn, Conway! What took you so long?" Russ grinned.

"Yeah," Hailee skated towards him. She softly smiled. "come on."
"You too, Coach!" Russ added.

"Let's go!" Hailee grinned. She had to admit, discluding Luis and Adam, she was feeling okay.

It was a fun game. Hailee scored three times and had a fun mini face off against Gordon.

During that time, she cleared things up with Charlie and the rest of her team, all but Luis and Adam.

Adam obviously wasn't there, but since she was resolving things with almost everyone else, she thought she'd talk to him.

That wasn't going to happen for a while, however, because Hailee and her team were now getting on the bus, which would take them to their upcoming game.

"Mendoza."
"Fulton."
"Adams."
"Conway?"

Hailee took her seat next to Julie but turned around when she heard him say Charlie's name.

"I wanna be on the team, Coach. I wanna play two-way hockey. Can I come back?" Charlie cocked a brow.

"Take a seat, we're running late. Let's go. We've got a game to catch."

Hailee cheered and held out her hand for Charlie to high five as he passed.
"It's about time, Conway!" Russ grinned.
"Crank her up, Mr. Bus Man!" Dwayne exclaimed.

"Oh man, you should've seen your face." Russ mocked, faking tears trickling down his cheeks with his fingers. "Oh, Coach, I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?"

Charlie playfully hit him, and Russ hit him back, making everyone laugh.
Luis turned around and looked over the seats at Hailee.
He softly smiled once he saw how happy she looked. It made his heart hurt that he wasn't with her anymore.

"I almost missed you." Their principal said, climbing onto the bus. "Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" Dean asked.
"And girls." Julie added.
"Yes, of course! And girls!"

"If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is."

"I'm afraid this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me, personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here. The board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships."

Hailee and Julie shared worried glances.
"Now you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities." Dean finished.

"Dean, I need a word with you." Coach began.
"I think I've said all I need to say-"
"No, now." Coach Orion said, sternly.

"Other educational opportunities?" Dwayne repeated, after Dean and Coach Orion had stepped off the bus to talk. "What's he saying, Russ?"

"I'll put it in terms you can understand." Russ sighed. "Adios, amigo."
"Adios, amigo." Dwayne whispered to himself. "Oh, I see."

"I wanna hear what Coach Orion has to say." Hailee said, getting up.
Connie nodded. "Me too."

The team stood up and followed Hailee and Connie to the door. They hovered there and listened in to their conversation.

"So that's it? You're dumping 'em, just like that?"
"Coach, I'm sorry. Your team isn't performing, and I've been under enormous pressure." Dean defended himself.
"From who? The alumni group? A bunch of ageing pep clobbers?" Coach Orion snapped.

"Ted, I'm trying to do you a favour. With those kids gone, you'll get to pick your own team. Let's face it, The Ducks are drowning."

Hailee's heart sank at Dean's comment.

"I got my team. Either they stay or I go." Coach Orion told Dean.

Hailee shared soft smiles with Russ and Charlie.

Dean patted Coach Orion on the back. "We'll miss you, Ted."

"Why us?"
"'Cause he's a slime."
"I know where that dude lives."
The team mumbled comments as they got off the bus to join their Coach.

"We're just pawns, puppets for the stage show, jesters to entertain the king, barnacles on the bottom of-"
"Shut up!" Russ cut off Averman.

"Coach, is this legal?" Goldberg asked. "I mean, don't we have contracts or something?"
"I don't know what it is." Coach Orion sighed. "All I know is that we're gonna fight it."