I swallowed. "That's true."

"So, what's the plan?" she asked, and I could feel the condescension coming.

"I'm going to kill Amarantha," I said, my voice tight.

She tilted her head to the side. "Hm, and how do you plan to do that mortal?"

"I- I don't know," I admitted.

She looked off to the side as if pondering something difficult. "You don't know? Interesting how Rhysand put the fate of his life and his country, his court and his people, in the hands of a girl who doesn't know how she's going to murder an immortal force that captured the continent. Don't you find that interesting?"

"We know what we're doing," I seethed. "If we wanted your help we would have asked for it."

"We? You and Rhysand are a we, are you?" She took a step toward me. "Rhysand is my family and we have been a team for hundreds of years before you were ever born, human."

"Did you come here just to yell at me? Whole lot of good that's going to do to help him, isn't it?" I spat, refusing to back down. I avoided nudging the bond, raising the alarm to Rhysand, but I let the awareness of its presence, taut within my chest, fuel me. "I know he hasn't spoken to you in decades. I know you miss him and I know you deserve to have him back. I also know how desperately he misses you. And Amren. And Azriel. And Cassian. I know he misses his home and his people. I know. I'm not going to screw this up, so if you could kindly mind your own business and get the hell out of my face, I'd appreciate it."

Neither of us looked away as heartbeats passed. My nostrils flared as heavy breaths paraded through my lungs, pumping with adrenaline.

Finally, a slow heart stopping smile pulled across her lips. "I think I'm going to like you, Feyre." She took a step back.

"You shouldn't be here," I told her. Rhysand would tear the mountain down stone by stone if he knew Mor was anywhere near Amarantha.

"Neither should you," she countered.

"That's different and you know it."

Her smile only grew. "I've always wanted a sister, you know."

My eyes fell flat. "Yeah, well, me too," I grumbled. I felt so far from Elain and Nesta now. They had never wanted me, never really appreciated me. Even Elain's dry comforts were hollow. Surely family meant something more than the scraps they'd left for me over the years.

"Do you have family?" she asked quietly.

I looked in her eyes, warm and inviting. Gone was the calculating heiress.

"I did, but we were never close."

"Your parents?"

I looked away from her, wishing there was a window, even one with bars, just so I could see the sky or hear the birds sing. "My mother died when I was young. My father lost all of our fortune and became crippled in the process. I do have sisters - two of them - but it wasn't until I came to this side of the wall that I realized the way they treated me. They're older than me, but I was charged with feeding them, clothing them, providing for them... Never to receive a thank you... Not even a hug..." I trailed off, lost in thoughts of painting our old kitchen table and the dresser my sisters and I had shared. They'd probably burned them all since I left.

"That's not what family is," she sighed before continuing, "at least, I've learned that's not what it's supposed to be like. My parents hated me. They wanted to sell me... For my virginity. I was an asset, not a daughter."

My own pain was mirrored in her face in such a vulnerable way that I looked away, down to my tattooed arm. I traced the whirls and turned over my palm to greet the tucked away eye.

"Rhys gave you that?"

My eyes darted to hers, but she was carefully inspecting the ink from a distance. "Yes. It's our bargain."

"Your bargain?" she asked, still looking at my hand.

I considered telling her about the amulet - about the way it had healed me and Rhysand was only trying to cover for its displaced magic. But the way he had refused to speak of it...

"He's aiding me in my trials for Amarantha in exchange for spending one week of every month with him."

She tilted her head back and let out a strong laugh.

"Oh, holidays, too," I added, letting a smile play at my lips.

Her laughter grew and she pulled up a hand to her stomach.

"And I'm supposed to hug him periodically," I disclosed as soft giggles escaped me despite myself.

We laughed together and something clicked in me. I could do this. I could really do this. I could get us out of here. I would get us out of here and we would go back to the Night Court with Mor and Azriel. I would meet Cassian and Amren and we would share dinners and stories and laughter.

Lots and lots of laughter.

I wasn't sure when the tears started falling from my eyes, but Mor kept a sweet smile on her face as she settled herself, watching me.

She knew it, too.

"I should probably go," she said finally.

I nodded, leaving the trails of wetness on my cheeks for her to see. I would not brush these tears away.

"I'll see you at home, Feyre."

And then she was gone in a whisper of shadows.