Chapter 6

(Yes I know it is still in highschool )

Ed was sobbing, you were staring blankly ahead and holding him. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. Your mother was standing and watching you, tears escaping her eyes a few seconds apart. Your father was making another phone call. The call(from the end of what happened last ) had been to say that the plane that Ed's parents were on, crashed, and that there was no survivors, the pilot had been drunk. You didn't know what to say to Ed, you weren't going to tell him it was ok or going to be ok, because both could very well be a lie. Ed had no other family. You two had sunk slowly to the ground, then Ed fell asleep. You carried him to your room and put him in bed. You turned off the lights and the alarm clock, and tiptoed out, closing the door softly. You headed for the kitchen you crossed your arms at your waist and looked helplessly at your mother, she mirrored the expression. "Honey have you been sleeping lately?" You froze at your mother's question. Then you sighed. "Not since eighth grade." You said. Your mother thought you were kidding. But the truth was the less you slept the more energy you had. She saw that you definitely weren't kidding. She gave you a funny, "why not?" look, you shrugged. Your father walked in. "We are now Ed's adopted parents!" Your father announced. Your eyes widened and your jaw dropped. "Huh?" You said, your parents smiled. "Uhhhhhhhhhhhh." You said and made a "what" gesture. "Well I called in a few favors at the office." Your dad said. You hopped up on the counter and crossed your legs. "He can have your brother's old room." Your mother said happily. You frowned in an angry remembrance of your little brother who was now in Juvie for the next 10 years for robbing a bank, well 3 banks. "Repaint it." You said bluntly. Your parents shared the resentment towards your brother. "Of course." They said at the same time. "Hope you don't mind?" They said switching the topic back to Ed. "Oh no, no,no that part is fine, I just don't like talking about him." You said meaning your brother.
You sat at the kitchen table long after your parents had gone to bed. The clock softly chirped 3:00am. You heard light footsteps coming down the hall to the kitchen. It was Ed, you could tell he didn't want to talk, or be talked with. You pulled out the chair next to you, and he sat down. You noticed the bruises had gotten a bit lighter you ran your fingers softly over a few of the darker ones, his expression got a little sadder, yours did the same. "Can-can we go for a walk." He asked. You nodded, knowing it was important to do so. You wrote a quick note to your parents, telling them you would just be heading to the woods for a bit and that you would be back soon. You and Ed walked down to the woods, in far enough so you didn't have to worry about attracting any strange or unwanted attention. "I just, I can't believe that, that they're, gone." Ed says when you sit down together on a fallen tree. "I want to kill that pilot for drinking," Ed says his voice rising, and the slowly falling moon reflecting lightly on his glasses. "But I can't, he's already dead." Tears were streaming rapidly down his face. A few fell from your eyes too. He looked surprised. "What is it?" You asked him. "I'm sorry." He says quickly. "For what, I don't understand." You replied. "I didn't mean to make you cry too, you don't seem like someone who would cry, I -I'm sorry." " You're right, I don't cry much, or really at all, I think that you're the first person to make me cry, besides a for a pet, I never really cry, and sometimes don't when I really should(like at funerals) but don't apologize, it's not your fault. It hurts in a really weird way to see you sad, or hurt. And I don't think I can explain it." You say thoughtfully. Ed suddenly grabs you hard and pulls you toward him, hugging you as hard as he can, and you hug back only as hard as he does, so you don't hurt him. You stay like that for a while until you realize, that it's light out. "Ed?" He pulls away, and looks at you. "Hmm?" He says. "It's light out." You both start giggling uncontrollably. Then you stand up and walk back to the house. When you get inside your father is sitting at the table with his coffee and your mother is making breakfast. "Ed?" You elbow him lightly. "What?" You point to the clock, 6:40am. "I guess we stayed longer than we intended." You say as you walk into the kitchen. "Wait, what time did you leave?" Your father asked. You held up three fingers, still in disbelief that you were gone for over 3 hours. Your father said wow. You nodded. "So, (y/n) did you tell him? Or did you save that for us to do?" Your father asked. "Ohh I figured you could tell him." You said with with a smile. Your father broke the news. Ed almost fell over. You caught him and pointed at a chair, he sat. "You get Jake's old room." You said with a smile. "We are going to redo it then put a door to link both of your bedrooms together." Your father said with a smile, which spread instantly through the family. "Mr. and Mrs. (Y/l/n) you really don't have t-" Ed got cut off halfway through by your father. "Yes we do, we needed a good reason to redo that room, her brother is no longer welcome in this house." Your father said sternly, the other day you had gotten a phone call saying 30 years had been added to Jake's sentance, for killing two people during one of the robberies. You let out a slow angry sigh. Ed hugged your parents. That night you started work on the room.