Chapter Eight: Stalkers, Sparing and Bleeding on the Doorstep

Start from the beginning

Rose POV

My arms and leg muscles were strained and fatigued, my chest felt tight and my ribs were aching. Each breath was now painful and forced. Each jostle the car gave me marked a sudden crescendo in my ballad of pain. It was turning out to be a very long ballad too. I hadn't remembered the drive being this long this morning. Griffin glanced nervously out the corner of his eye.

    "I'm good, Griff," I managed a strained laugh, "In a world of pain, but good." He offered a coy smile.

    "Sorry, Rose," he apologised. I smiled realising he meant it for more than him beating me like a sandbag.

    "It's okay, Griff." Another large bump in the road convinced me now was a good time to bring up this morning's events again.

    "Just so long as you enjoyed your nap." That earned me a warning look out of the corner of the Grigori's eye.

    "What am I supposed to say?" he asked cautiously. My grin widened a little more.

    "Beg me not to tell my parents?" I suggested.

    "You wouldn't," he stated not sounding entirely convinced.

    "Oh wouldn't I?" This was fun. "I think they would love to know you fell asleep in the middle of an important fight lesson. Mum would totally freak and force you to go to the doctor's to get checked out. And she'd fuss all over you. She'd bring you soup each evening and want to tuck you in. If not you'd probably have to stay at our place for a whole month..." Griffin cut me off there.

    "If you so much as breathe a word of this to Violet," he threatened, looking deadly serious, "So help me, I will personally take that piano to a dump." To emphasise his point he added, "On one of the days they break things."

    "Which you'll have to look up," I stated.

    "Which I'll have to look up." That made me smile again.

    "Okay," I agreed, "No telling my mother. But Dad..." I trailed off suggestively. Griffin shook his head, not taking the bait.

    "You seem a little tense, Griff," I observed. "Frustrated maybe?"

    "Linc and Violet are back tonight," he dodged, changing the subject. I tried to unsuccessfully force back a smile.

    "So you're frustrated that you won't have as much time with gorgeous me?" I questioned playfully.

    "No, I'm thankful for that," he laughed quietly before sobering. "I'm guess I'm a little concerned about your dreams. I've got no idea what they mean. Are they directions? Or a trick? And then there was that thing with Phoenix. And how am I supposed to explain you're fainting to Vi?" I absorbed what he was saying.

    "Griffin," I replied seriously, "I think I have to deal with this one my own. I don't think my embracing is going to have anything to do with jumping off a cliff. And I can't do it until the time is right and I have a proper reason." Griffin's eyes strayed out to the side of the road.

    "Reckon your best friend sitting on my doorstep bleeding is good enough?"

Alec POV

She moved like an avalanche, rushing to her human friend's aid. The mortal sat slouched against the door bleeding quite profusely. Red stained her shirt and head, it was everywhere.

    "Oh God," she whispered, "Not this again." I must admit I was startled by her response. Again? A buzz of annoyance stirred as I thought about how I couldn't watch her all the time. The man who had been driving her came to her side. The Grigori she was staying with.