"Maddie, you honestly didn't think I would allow you to actually clean," he scoffed.

"Why? I make a mess; I clean it up. It's how things are done."

"Not anymore. You have more important things to worry about. You'll be going back to work soon, and the babies are going to take up a lot of time. You shouldn't have to worry about cooking and cleaning. I'll take care of that."

"You're too kind," I jested.

"The new house is closer to the city, and near better schools."

"Schools? They're not even six months yet. Can't we wait until we have to worry about that kind of stuff?"

"Maddie, private pre-schools are very aggressive. You can't just walk in and get on some waiting list. We have to start now."

"I just want them to have a normal childhood."

"That will, unfortunately, never happen." He wrapped an arm around me as we walked. Francis was pulling at his leash, trying to chase a squirrel, but Justin held tight.

"There's so much that goes into raising a child that I never knew about."

"You and me both."

"So about this new house; will I like it?"

"I'm sure you will. We can go see it tomorrow, if you'd like."

"I'd like that very much. The sooner the better."

"The owner just died, and his wife is selling."

"How much is it?"

"I'm not sure," he lied. "I went by the other day and everything's ready for us to move in if you approve. I'll set up a meeting with my realtor. We can finally get out of this fucking town."

"I kind of like it," I admitted. "It's peaceful out here."

"Not so peaceful with those guys following, right?" Justin nodded behind him. There were about five bodyguards, fanned out and walking as if taking a leisurely stroll.

"I'm pretty used to it by now."

"I hate that you are. Do you ever feel unsafe?" His tone turned somber.

"Not really. Not with you, anyway. You do a good job of making sure I don't know about the bad things going on around me."

"I try to give you some freedom, but every time I do, things just end up going the wrong way for us." Justin bent down to unlatch Francis collar so that he could run around a little.

"Don't worry about me. Just make sure our children are safe. That's all I care about."

"You're a very good mother, Maddie." He hugged me close.

"I'm trying."

"Did you ever realize how hard it might be for us to actually raise children in this environment?"

"I'm sure they'll be fine. As long as they stay oblivious."

"But how long can that last?"

Our tender and deep moment was interrupted by barking that erupted out of nowhere.

Francis was at the edge of the lake, snapping at a fish underneath the surface.

"He found a friend." I said.

"Dog, don't you jump in that water," Justin bellowed. "I'm not going in there to get you."

Francis looked over his shoulder.

"I mean it."

That didn't stop Francis from jumping headfirst, into the lake. He started paddling out, trying to chase the fish.