Chapter 19

Wednesday night came at last and I was scrambling trying to find something to wear to The Avenue. Tonight was the night where prince and Andre fix their friendship with a little bit of help from me of course. I know I've been Andre's fantasy since we were little kids but I had to use what I had just to get his attention. It doesn't take much to convince Andre to do something for me. Someone who's so over the moon for me will go that extra mile. I need him and Prince to be friends again like how they were. Those two are like family and knowing that they've gotten into a fight over me was ridiculous. They've actually fought over way worse things. Guitars, who's gonna get the record deal first, who got the be the lead singer of Grand Central. Things that meant something for their livelihood. When it came to women they had a code but when it came to me somehow that code was tossed to the wayside. Again I say ridiculous. Pulling through my drawers I found a cute black halter top. I didn't want to wear it at first because of all the scaring from surgery but at this point I wanted to look good and have a good time tonight. Along with the halter top I decided to wear a pair of dark blue straight legs and and red pair of heels. I straightened my hair and added some Shirley Temple curls pinning most of them to the right side of my head. I did my make up and just as I was beginning to apply my eye liner my mom came to my bedroom door. She always had a thing for watching me get all dressed up.

  "Look at my baby. If only your father could see you now." She softly said as she continued to watch.

  "Ma stop! You always wanna go down memory lane and make yourself cry which in turn makes me cry. When then ruins my makeup and then I have to take all of it off and start over. Then I'll be late getting to the club and have to explain to everyone why I look like bozo the clown."

My mom laughed at my over exaggerated story and sat down on my bed taking the picture of my dad in her hand.

"You know it was always your dad's dream to see you off for prom. He was also excited to walk you down the aisle when it came time for you to jump then broom."

  "Ma its 1991. We don't have to do that anymore." I giggled as I just finished putting on my mascara.

  "I know that sweetie but your father and I did it as tradition. Our ancestors did it wen they were working on the plantations. You father was very adamant about doing it. We actually save the broom we jumped over for you to use one day."

  "Well Ma sadly that won't happen. No matter how bad we want it to." I replied sitting at the mirror looking myself over.

I wanted to be married one day. I wanted to have children. Unfortunately life dealt me a suck ass of a hand. I have a rare cancer and I have a small chance of ever getting pregnant which now due to this cancer has dropped that already low chance to damn near non existent. I could see how sad my mom was from her reflection in the mirror.

  "Honey......have you at least thought about the treatment? I know you don't want to but-"

  "It's alright Ma. I'm gonna do them. Prince and Andre have both asked me to do them. Prince basically begged me to do it before we....."

  "Broke up?"

  "Ma!?!?!"

  "What! I'm your mother! I know the real reason why you're here and not with my Skippy."

  "Yeah and I bet you're happy about that. You probably thing that me and Cymone are gonna become a thing now huh?"

  "Child please! I wanted you and Andre to be a thing but......I always had a feeling you and prince would one day......"

I turned to my mom to find her smiling at me. Why I did t understand. All of Minneapolis was expecting me and Andre to be together for the rest of our natural born lives but of course that never happened. I never knew that my mom felt that it was actually going to be me and Prince.

  "Ma what are you saying?" I asked her.

  "Prince was always going to be the one for you. Baby girl he still is. He never did tell you why he came by did he?"

Now that I think about it he actually didn't. I was already mad at the fact that he thought I was screwing his best friend after a few make out sessions in his car but then the living room brawl didn't get him to say anything about it either. I just shook my head and my mom sighed with a smile.

  "Mouse he came here to pour out his heart to me. Now it's not my place to tell you word for word what he said because he has to do that himself but I will say that......Regan he's been so confused. He's acting out in ways that even I know were wrong and I told him that. I want all that happy that he didn't come to LA for your graduation either and he got a nice scolding about that. If I were you I'd go to Chanhassen Friday night."

My mom stood up from the bed and made her way towards me. She ran her hand softly down my hair and left a gentle kiss on my forehead. I was never so convinced now about going to Prince's house Friday night before. What did he tell her yesterday? I guess I should just go now that she knows about it because if she finds out I didn't I'll probably never hear the end of it. I turned back to the mirror and put on a nice red lip stain that matched my shoes. One final look over and I realized I was missing something. Earrings. A girl can't go out without a pair of earring! I pulled out my jewelry box and grabbed the first pair of gold hoops I could find and put them in when the door bell rang.

  "Regan? Dez and Andre are here! Better hurry up!" I heard my mom call to me.

  "Coming!"

I grabbed my black clutch and headed downstairs to meet the guys and get to the club before the show started.