The Fireflies Guy

"Surely you've heard of him," Katy said, looking at me. "He's the town celebrity. You've heard of Owl City?"

"Yes... they're the people who created Fireflies, right?"

"Not they, he. And not people, person. Adam is Owl City."

I blinked a few times. "Well I knew the name sounded familiar. I was sure I'd heard it somewhere, and I guess that that's where. Everyone must talk about him if he's that big and living in such a small town..."

"Of course they do, Gray. You just never notice. You're always off in your own worlds, doing your own things," she pointed out. "Are you interested in him, though?"

"Yeah," I said slowly, "I think I am."

Katy turned to look at me, empty cup in hand. "This is just purely wonderful," she sang.

I shook my head, smiling. "Oh, you."

"Hey, this is plenty exciting," she replied, maybe slightly defensively.

"Well, sure, for the town matchmaker," I said.

"You can't say you aren't excited about this, Gray," she said, pointing a finger at me. "You've been complaining about being single for a year now."

I had to think about this for a moment. She was right. I'd been single for a year, and complained quite a bit about it. "Oh..."

She smiled. "Yeah, I thought so. How fun. The bold extrovert businesswoman and the shy introvert musician. It's an interesting mix to say the least, but you two are more than compatible. I'm pretty sure you're meant for each other." She turned her back again and filled the paper cup with coffee.

"I hope you know that I'm blushing right now," I said.

"Good," she replied simply, mixing peppermint syrup into the coffee.

I sighed and shook my head, smiling. Katy was just that kind of girl, and there was no helping it.

She turned again and set the latte on the counter, already covered with a plastic lid. "Gray Young... yeah, that works perfectly." She grinned.

I looked at her, very much aware of the bright red tone that my face was beginning to gain.

She giggled. "Not a single other person in this town has ever done that to you, Gray. I'm special, and you know it."

"You're also the one person in town I most want to punch in the face," I muttered.

She didn't seem to hear, and, instead of replying, knelt down and opened the back of the pastry display to get the chocolate croissant.

Then again, Katy had this great habit of disregarding any threat I made to her, and instead just went on with her life as if I'd never said a word. She was basically the only person who could do that. Not just in Owatonna. At all. Anyone I ever got close to ended up at least slightly afraid of me except for Katy.

There definitely was something about that girl.

"Here you go," she said, placing the bag on the counter. "You know how much."

"Yep," I replied, pulling my debit card out of my wallet and handing it to her. She swiped it through the scanner, and I typed my PIN number into the keypad. She handed the card back to me and I slipped it back into its place.

"Is it normal to fall for your complete opposite?" I looked at her questioningly.

She smiled. "Ever heard the phrase 'opposites attract'?"

I nodded. "Yeah, then. I gotta go. Come over tonight if you have time. I get off at 4 as usual." I picked up the cup and paper bag.

"Okay, will do. See you around 5?"

"Sounds good," I replied. "See you then." I walked out of the coffee shop and into the warm June drizzle, opening my umbrella and heading toward work.