Curly couldn't help but smile a little. He played it off as a weird grimace when Pony looked over, though.

"...that's really your favorite color?"

"Yeah, it's nice, y'know? Like the sky in the afternoon, or balloons, sunlight, raincoats..." he trailed off.

"Oh..." Curly was blushing.

Pony just smiled. He hadn't even noticed their hands were touching until he glanced down, and suddenly his face was as red, if not redder, than Curly's.

To Ponyboy's surprise, Curly didn't move his hand away. Instead, without looking away from where his eyes were glued on the steering wheel, the hood laced their fingers together and silent.

Ponyboy was nervous, butterflies in his stomach, but he matched the quiet. The brunette's mind raced. Curly- Curly Shepard was holding hands with him! And he initiated it too! He could have pulled his hand away, disgusted, and left the car. But he didn't, he stayed and he was holding hands with Ponyboy Curtis!

Finally, Curly sighed, breaking the silence.

"You really did grow up good, didn'cha, Pony..." He smiled, still not looking at the younger Greaser. Pony almost smiled, biting his lip and hoping his face didn't flush any darker. Instead he just laughed a little, looking over at the JD. "Well shoot, Curly, you did too," he grinned.

Ponyboy's heart fluttered- Curly had finally turned over to look at him. The fifteen-year-old was quite a sight. The slight wind had tousled his short, frizzy, black hair, silver lip-ring curving around the pink of his mouth. His cheeks were dusted a faint scarlet. But most of all were his eyes. Curly's dark blue eyes were wide, the orbs betraying his thoughts and revealing a touch of hopefulness. He was helpless, wanting to wish for whatever this was, but afraid to get his hopes up. Why would he deserve this?

Curly didn't speak, so Pony did for him. "I know ya won't believe me, but," he paused, eyebrows furrowed, "don't tell Darry or Soda, but, when we were in fifth together, y'know, when we were younger, I had a small crush on ya..." the brunette mumbled the last bit so quietly that Curly barely heard it.

If it was even possible, the hood's eyes got wider, bluer. "What?" he asked, voice revealing his hope, but also his disbelief. Pony nodded, smiling honestly and squeezing Pony's hand slightly. 

"Yeah, I was always to scared to tell ya, though. I thought you'd think I wasn't tough, or you'd think I was weird for likin' ya. But I always tried to impress you, but you never looked at me the way I looked at you, so I guessed you weren't like me..." Curly was silent, mouth open with shock.

"But you were always to tuff! Only a year older than me, but you were already jumpin' fences and sneakin' in whenever they were showin' pictures at the theater. And you were just so... good-lookin'- not like Soda or Cherry- but, younger and wilder, more like Tim or Dally."

Curly was biting his lip, his ears and cheeks almost crimson. 

"Why didn'cha tell me, Pony?" he almost pleaded, looking into the younger's green-grey eyes.

The brunette looked away. " I didn't know at the time that two fellas could date. It wasn't until after you got sent away that Soda an' Steve got together, Johnny and Dally, too. Then you were gone, and I thought you might not remember me when you got back..."

Curly just frowned, looking down at their interlocked hands again and mumbling.

"I couldn't forget you, Ponyboy..." he almost whispered.

The butterflies in his stomach made Pony squirm anxiously, turning his body in the seat to face Curly. Noticing this, the older did the same. Ponyboy connected their free hands, and Curly wrapped his fingers around the brunette's.

"I liked you in fifth, too, y'know..." he said softly.

Pony gasped silently. "What?" 

Curly nodded.

"I did, you were smart. Smarter than me, smarter than anyone in our outfit, or your gang. But I didn't dig some of the stuff you'd talk about- your books, movies, I'd have to have a better head to get that I guess," he said offhandedly. "But you were always stayin' out of trouble, ya saved my skin a dozen times when I got caught stealin' and stuff."

Pony smiled, "I guess so," he hummed softly. "I remember that."

"I was convinced I loved you when I was younger..." the brunette whispered. Curly's eyes widened.

"Maybe I still do..."

Both Greasers looked up, half in anticipation, half in surprise at Pony's words. Their faces were almost level, Pony staring at the fierce blue of Curly Shepard's eyes. The JD, and Ponyboy, were both blushing again. The quiet that hung in the air was unbearable. Pony barely caught the "me too," before Curly kissed him. 

Pony leaned up, their mouths closed but the desperation and finality was ever present. Curly reached up to wrap his arm around Pony's waist when the brunette pulled back. 

"...not here," he whispered breathlessly. Curly took a moment, then nodded, smiling like an idiot. They were still in the parking lot- anyone could look over and discover them. It was well-known Tulsa, Oklahoma wasn't the most open-minded place. 

Pony sat back down in his seat, still blushing madly. They had finished their food half an hour ago, they could leave at any time. But they just sat, the aftermath rushing over both of them. He stared blankly forward, mind completely caught up in what just happened. The brunette smiled brightly, fingers lightly tracing over his lips. They had just kissed! Ponyboy Curtis and Curly Shepard! Pony giggled to himself; the lip ring had made it interesting. 

"So, does-uh, does this mean we're together now?" The younger asked though the quiet, turning to look over at Curly, who was in a similar state. The hood blushed, blue eyes glittering slightly in the light. "You mean like, datin'?" he asked. Pony nodded. Curly bit his lip, but Pony could tell he was trying not to smile.

"If you want to, Pony," he decided on, trying to hide his own excitement about the idea. He turned the keys, pulling out of the lot and starting down the street. Pony smiled widely at him from the passenger seat.

"Yeah, we should, Curly! I mean, if you want to," he added, shyly. 

Curly nodded, lips curved into a small smile.

"I think that'd be smart."