Chaper One

Words you need to know:
(1) Dugout Darling- basically a girl who cleans the baseball guys' uniform and makes a goodie basket and gives it to them the day of the game during school, normally they're filled with gatorades and chips and sweets.

Victoria Madras, I typed. I watched the cursor
blink
blink
blink.

Why is college entry essays so hard but free writing is so easy?

I glance back at the paper next to my left hand, The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recall one incident where this happened to you.

I swiftly type in: Many of people would say one lesson that we can take from failure is learning how to ride a bike or failing a test, but in my case, my failure was in August of 2016, the beginning of my senior year.

I watched the cursor blink again. I stopped writing not knowing where to go with this.

I was a Dugout Darling (1), each year after the team is filled we put everyone's jersey number in a hat and pull one out. I've gotten the same guy the past three years Jacobey Lamont the short stop and the only black guy on the team. The reason I bring up his race is because we live in a small town in the south and basically everyone is white. Hence why I always got put with Jacobey, all of the other girls didn't want to work with him.

This year, however, was quite different. Jacobey moved to California. Sadly, he was one of my closest friends, so the wound of him not being here is still raw.

Maria Collins, aka that one bitch that's in everything, walks over to me and holds the baseball cap out towards me.

"Pick a good one, Vickie"

In my head I mutter a yeah, fuck you bitch. We all know you're sleeping with the quarterback this week. You tweeted it.

I unravel the poorly folded piece of printer paper and the paper reveals the number 34.

34.

34.

34?

Who's 34?

"Hey Katrina, who's number 34?" I ask the short blonde holding the clipboard with the guys' names and numbers on it.

She takes a moment to scan over the name. "Number 34 is Kaleb Devine. He's the new kid on Varsity, he's also a junior. I heard he's pretty good," she pauses a moment, "he plays short stop and pitcher," her eyes become wide momentarily. Robin is the pitcher and a damn good one.

"For such a small town you'd think our sports teams would suck, but baseball is always alive."

She nodded as the bell started to ring.

All of the DD's gathered on the diamond and waited for the boys to come onto the field in their practice uniforms for their first practice as a team.

I was a little bit anxious and nervous because I'm used to just having to find Jacobey and now I have to find someone that I don't even know what they look like.

The guys come walking out onto the field with all of their gear ready for practice.

I look around, but still can't find number 34.

I walk up to Robin Marci hoping he'd know where number 34 was.

"Hey Vic, are you my DD this year?" He says with a smirk.

"Well you're not number 34," I tell him as I glance down seeing that his jersey is number 1 as always, "speaking of, do you even know who number 34 is?"

His smirk instantly fades, "that's Kaleb Devine, Junior, not a bad short stop, he's not here today he said something had come up, just be careful around him, okay?"

"Why, what's wrong with him?"

"Coach Maverick told me a bit about the kid, he's been kicked out of six high schools."

"Six high schools?! Jesus, this kids insane."

"Keep your voice down Vic, coach is about to start his yearly speech."

"Alright, guys. This is my last year coaching I'd love to stay here, but I can't." I hear a faint gasp come from Robin. "I'm getting really old and I'm not sure I'm physically cut out for this anymore. Which brings me to introduce to you, your assistant coach for this year, Coach O'Neill."

The guy looked to be in his mid twenties, kinda hot to be honest.

"All of the baseball boys have been paired up with a DD, when you find the girl your jersey number corresponds with she'll fill you in on what a DD is and does if you don't know."

I walk up to our now retiring coach to talk to him about the infamous Kaleb Devine.

"Hey Coach."

"Hey Madras, who'd you get this year?" He shows a toothy smile.

"Kaleb Devine..." I trail off and I see his smile fade.

"Listen, you're a great kid, but you honestly don't need to get sucked into that kids' shenanigans. He's no good. If you don't want to take on the challenge of dealing with him I can see if I can pull a few strings and get you and Marci paired together." He asks with a wink.

I try to hide my blush, but I don't think it's working. "That'd be great, but I think I'll be able to handle myself."

"Okay, well if you ever need me you know where to find me."

"Thanks Coach."

"Not a problem, Madras."

<><><><>

The next day is a hassle, I had a project due that I literally finished in like five minutes which scares the crap out of me, I have three tests that I haven't studied for, and after school is baseball practice, so I have to sit and watch that. The day went by so slowly, but baseball practice had finally arrived.

Some of the guys are stretching on the diamond while others are probably still in the locker room.

"Hey cutie." A voice I've grown to know says.

"Robin, how've you been?"

"I've been good. Oh I've been meaning to ask you somethi-"

"Boys, bring it in by the dugout." Coach shouts.

Robin runs off without finishing his sentence. One in which I didn't really want to hear anyways.