Chapter 12 - The tea incidents

ابدأ من البداية

“We obeyed blindly. And your mother, who desperately needed to blame somebody took the only one in that whole mess who was without fault: You.” Jonah shook his head. “She knew what she did and why, Timmy helped her to realize it. But I think it was today when she finally saw the whole consequences of her actions and how she hurted herself more than anybody else. And that was why she saved Timmy.” Jonah looked at him. “Look, there is something I have to tell…” Nathan stopped him. “No Dad, I know everything. Germaine told me how you saved me as a pup and raised me as your own son, loving me regardless. My real Dad couldn’t do anything better.” His father looked at him, puzzled. “Germaine told you...but how…?” Nathan shook his head. “You have to ask him. Not me.” he smiled. “As for Mum: She did her best.  And I guess, fear is not the best mentor in bad times. I think we all learned out of the situation.”

Jonah shook his head in astonishment. He looked at the man standing in front of him, tall, strong and proud, and finally he came to peace with anything. He grinned at his son. “And you are my son - regardless.” he said, when his gaze fell on the still kissing couple right in the middle of the kitchen. “Oh by the spirits and all hell hounds. Go get a room you two. A soundproofed room, please. NOW.” he roared. His daughter left the lips of Mr. Portier with a smacking noise, giggled and pulled the complete dazed Vampire out of the kitchen.

“Do you think they mate 2000 years now to get back the time they lost?” he heard Buddys curious question and that made it. He started to laugh hysterically and couldn’t stop, even when tears streaked down his cheeks. Worst of all: The pack seemed to have heard Buddys remark and so all wolves started to laugh together. And everytime one of them calmed down enough to gasp some air, the others amped his laughter up again.

Finally they lost the weird laughter and calmed down. Even Nate and Buddy were panting heavily after the laughing fit. Nathan, sitting on the floor, sighed. “Oh boy. I needed that.” Timmy, his eyes bright of happiness, agreed eagerly. Nathan stood up, he knew the place he had to go now. He looked at his father. “Can you take care of Timmy for a while?” Jonah nodded. “Sure.” Timmy pouted. “I’m not a little kid, you know?” Nathan smiled. “No, but obviously the mate of the Alpha of this pack. And you need somebody to guard you.”

A chorus answered in unison: “We will take care.” His fellow pack mates. Nathan looked pleased and waved, leaving the kitchen.

The way upstairs weighed heavy on his shoulders, Nate was equally quiet. Both didn’t know what to expect, despite the explanation of his father.

Nathan opened the door to the infirmary. His mother laid in one of the beds, looking at the ceiling. Nathan took a chair and looked at her warily. A long time there was nothing but an uncomfortable silence.

Finally Nina began. “I was so angry. You are my son. You were supposed to stay with me, cradled in my arms, protected by me. You were not supposed to leave the pack nor stay at boarding schools for so long.” A stray tear ran down her cheek, but she still refused to look at him and her gaze was fixed at the ceiling instead. “It was my duty to protect you in childhood. And I failed.” more tears streamed down her face. “I failed so badly. Because I was afraid of so many things I let all this happen.” her hand swept frantically through her face.

Nathan tried to say something, but Nate stopped him. “Don’t.” he told him gently. “She needs to vent this out. Let her tell her tale.” Nathan agreed silently and listened to his mother.

“I am a bad mother. A mother is supposed to fight for her children, but I didn’t even put up a fight. I was too scared.” Nina cried silently. “And when you came back, you weren’t the scared little pup I gave away so easily. You weren’t the boy I once knew. You were another person and you even smelled different. I didn’t know this stranger who replaced my son. And again I was so angry, you cannot imagine. I didn’t see that I was angry with myself, instead I blamed it all on you. I pretended I punished you for you rejecting your mate, but instead I punished you for my faults. For my weakness.”

Finally she looked at him, but still her gaze didn’t met his eyes. “I tried to recognize you, finally you came back. I had you back. But I failed again. I didn’t found the little boy I abandoned so many years ago.” he saw her shaking in agony and he did the only thing he could do.

Nathan took her hand, holding her firmly. “Mom, you didn’t abandon me. It was all Alpha. You are a victim, too. Everybody is allowed to be scared. And ask yourself: If you tried to defend Alpha when he decided it was me who has to go to boarding school, what do you think would have happened to you? Think carefully, mom. Do you really think that you were able to change a thing? And you had to look after Ginny. My sister was a little pup, barely able to walk.” Nina looked at him, astonished. “What do you mean?” she asked warily. “That this all is not your fault. That you are not a bad mum, but a mum who had to made a terrible decision. Alpha basically forced you to choose between your children. And you did exactly what he expected you to do. To leave me alone because you had to take care for my sister and my father.”

Nathan took a deep breath. “Alpha was manipulative and he knew to play people very well. I read all his files, even his secret files, and I know how rotten this man was until the depth of his soul. No normal and sane person, whether it man or wolf, stands a chance against such a nutcase. Your choice was to abandon me or to die, because for sure he would have killed you for disobedience.” he finished.

Nina looked at him, and for the first time since he came back, he recognized the woman in front of him fully. Her loving smile, her sweet touch, when she caressed his cheek and her beautiful appearance. Nate purred in content. “That’s our mother, Nathan. I think we have her back.” Nathan smiled back. “I think so to. It’s still a long way. But the first steps are gone.” he replied happily.

And when he took his mother in his arms, they both cried over the wasted years of their relationship.

And Buddy was completely in sync with Timmy, when they both decided that Alpha has to get his punishment.

If he survived his injuries.