Chapter 19: Stress-Free Day

Start from the beginning

"It was nothin...this little girl, about five years old...she was lost. Her name was Emma or something like that. Anyway, she comes walkin up to me and points at the sketch of our suspect and tells me she's seen him."

Brandy wrinkles her eyebrows, "Well what happened?"

"Her mother showed up so I questioned her about her daughter's claim."

"What'd she say?"

"She said that her daughter has been having nightmares and our suspect looks like the man from her dreams."

Brandy chuckles. "Great, so now we're chasing the fuckin' Boogeyman."

Ron laughs. "It sure seems like it. Let's finish up here and head back."

"Okay...Hey? Do you mind if I leave a little early today? I have this...thing later."

"I'm not your boss!" Ron sounds snippy.

"Fine. I was just trying to be courteous."

Ron's bitter, "Tryin somethin different for a change?"

"Are you still mad about the weight comment? I was just pickin at you, get over it already."

Ron is quiet for a moment, contemplating forgiveness, "So what's this thing you got goin on later?"

"It's nothing...just a thing."

"Is it a date thing?"

Brandy becomes defensive, "No! It's just dinner."

Ron sees his chance for payback, "Ho-ly shit! It is a date! God damn, Brandy Page has a date. What's it been two, three years?"

"It's not a date Travis...it's just dinner..."

"With a man?"

Brandy hesitates, "Yes, with a man...and his daughter."

Ron smiles, "That's still qualifies as a date Page."

"Whatever! Just drop it."

"Who is this guy?" Ron pries a little.

"No one, he's just a guy." Brandy sound irritated.

"Oh come on Page, I'm just pickin at you, get over it already."

Brandy gives a hateful stare and their silence resumes. Ron knows he has struck a nerve so he decides to back down. After handing out the last of the fliers and talking to some of the shop's employees, the tired detectives make the journey back to their vehicle. Brandy walks a few paces behind Ron, puffing on another cigarette. Her high hopes of this being a stress free day are in jeopardy. She continues to remind herself, today is a good day...today is a good day...

The trip back to the station is as awkward as any silent car ride would be. Both detectives have had their fun at the others expense. Sometimes partners have days like this, they get on each other's nerves and can't stand to be around one another. Brandy and Ron don't have many of these days, but even the dream team isn't invincible.

Back at the station, the office is nearly empty. Many of the officers took an early day. There was no one around to stop them. Brandy grabs her things and stands from her desk.

Ron looks to her, "Hey, Page. Sorry about earlier. I hope you have a nice time at dinner."

Brandy smiles at his sincerity, "Thanks...sorry for calling you fat."

Ron didn't expect her apology to be heartfelt, "Yeah. Don't mention it."

As Brandy turns to walk away, she quickly spins around, "Travis, I almost forgot!"