He picked his knife up off the ground, “Leave me alone!”

He held the blade out in front of him. Instantly they disappeared and Koran had to rub his eyes. He looked around nervously wondering where they had gone.

Not sure if he was truly alone he didn’t put his knife away instead walked back through the mist. He had only gone a few paces before he broke into a jog. That clearing scared him and he wanted to get as far away as possible.

By the moonlight he had read his compass and went in the direction which he thought was forward. Soon enough he emerged from the fog. A few metres away was the first tree he had seen for a while. He sought shelter beneath it, wiping his brow which was covered in small beads of sweat. And that is where he sat now. He had taken a piece of dried meat out of his bag and was chewing the salty food slowly. He still had to wait for the others.

He lay his head back on the trunk. He never realised how comforting the trees were. It was like seeing an old friend. It gave him a sense of security. He could feel its weak life force seeping into him but it did not do much to alleviate his itching eyes. He looked up into the fog. The others might be another few hours, perhaps even days. He guessed it wouldn’t hurt to have a little nap. He pulled his pack towards him and rested his head on it. His eyelids immediately began to droop.

The twins broke through the final layer of the fog. They walked together very closely but only inches from touching each other’s shoulders. They moved swiftly, swinging their arms and striding a metre or so per step. They had to get away from that horrible place in the fog. Rute did not want to think about it. Yulan found it difficult to comprehend that for a single moment, no matter how small, he had doubted his brother. He looked across at the face which was identical to his. He couldn’t believe they had let one spirit get between their friendship, their brotherhood. He pushed the thoughts aside. They had to get out of this mist.

It was like a breath of fresh air when they left the heavy fog with their dampened clothes and sodden hearts. The moon was a welcome addition to the sky they could now see.

“How do you think we’ll find the others?” Rute asked his brother.

Yulan just shook his head, I don’t know.

They both stopped and swivelled on the spot slowly, looking for something that might indicate the others position.

“Is that a tree?” Yulan said quietly to his brother.

Rute turned to face the same way and squinted into the distance, “I think so.”

“Do you think..?” Yulan asked and Rute nodded before he could even finish speaking.

They picked their way across the uneven ground. It took them only a few seconds to see who was beneath the tree.

“Koran!” they yelled and broke into a quick trot.

He was startled awake by the sounds of their heavy footfalls.

“Rute, Yulan!” he looked at both of them, “You guys are okay! Have you seen the others?”

The twins shook their heads. Koran’s heart fell. How was he supposed to protect them if he didn’t know where they were? At least he had been right about them finding him here. As he looked up into the few leaves that grew upon the tree he figured that a tree was a very big landmark and that he and his gang were very attached to them. Without talking they arranged themselves beneath the large branches. All they had to do was wait.

Leo was the next to reappear from the fog. He was running as hard as he could the taunts of the fog woman ringing loudly in his ears. The image of him coming down on her life crystal with such force that could kill several demons flashed in his mind. The image of the shattered stone would remain in his memory for ever. He hated himself for doing it, but he had no choice. He had to protect the friends who had done so much to help him. Blood poured from his shoulder as he ran but he didn’t feel the pain. Those thin spikes of fog had really done some damage and the way the goddess had pulled at the air inside him gave him shivers. He didn’t stop running even after he left the fog. He instinctively knew which way to go and found himself in front of Koran and the twins.

“Leo!” Koran gasped in shock. The blond boy had rushed up so fast.

Leo collapsed to the ground. Koran jumped up as blood spurted from his wound. Leo closed his eyes. He was so used to being beat up by now that it was a mere ache, an annoyance.

“Leo are you okay?” Koran asked frowning at leaning over him.

“I’m fine. . .”

“What happened to your shoulder?” Koran asked worried.

“I cut myself,” he said quickly, he didn’t want to really talk about it.

“Oh,” Koran frowned again and without much further ado he pulled some medical supplies out of his bag and began bandaging Leo up. The boy always seemed to have the worst of luck. The demon, the poachers and then this.

After he was considerably cleaned up Leo rested his head on Rute's shoulder and fell asleep promptly. Exhaustion had one the better of him. Koran looked into the fog. Where were Mik and Kiayani?

~~*~~