The grin that took over his face was dazzling. "Nothing about me is friendly," I said. 

"Oh, I know that." He stole a coin from my cup and slid into the machine directly in front of me. "But we have to keep in mind that there are kids here."

I nodded and waited for him to be ready. As soon as the game started, I forgot about my depressed state. I lost myself in the competition, the encompassing desire to win. Ryan was more perceptive than I gave him credit for. He knew exactly how to distract me, how to keep me away from my thoughts. 

That terrified me. 

I ignored my negative thoughts. Today was supposed to be fun. I was supposed to be thanking Ryan for what he was doing. 

The game was over. I had only beat him by a few points. I took a deep breath. Smirked at him. After a few more hours, our tokens were gone, and we were heading out. 

"Thank you," I said to him again, the words foreign on my tongue. I looped my arm through his, and he sucked in a breath as if it pained him, but he didn't pull away. I felt my brow furrow in confusion, and I opened my mouth to speak. But he brushed me off with a wave of his hand and opened the car door for me. 

I had forgotten what it was like to have a friend. 

The only friend I've really ever had was Derek, the guy who guarded my hall. When I got bored, I'd come out of my room, and we'd sit in the hallway and talk. About anything. He was the first guy who hadn't ever advanced towards me sexually. I admired him for it. We were best friends, and nothing more. I tried to kiss him once, but he gently pushed me away. I asked him why. He told me straight:

"You don't want me. You want the idea of me. Physical attention. Save your body for someone who loves you. Besides, I have another girl on my mind. It would feel wrong to kiss you, then tell her how much I care about her. You see that, don't you?."

I was jerked out of my thoughts to Ryan asked me what I wanted to eat. I realized that we had pulled into the drive through of a fast-food restaurant I used to love. It was a special treat on birthdays and holidays. I ordered what I had always gotten, a spicy chicken sandwich with french fries and sweet tea. Ryan ordered his own meal.

Too soon, we were back to base. Two guards met us; one to escort us back to our room and one to take the car back to wherever it belonged. I changed and then collapsed onto my bed, exhausted from my great day. I then realized I had food to eat, so I got up to sit at the table.

And too soon, someone was knocking on the door. I groaned, thankful that Ryan got up to get it. Director. Again. 

"Good evening," he said, walking right into the room. I couldn't help but feel a little annoyed - could I get some peace and quiet for once? All I wanted to do was sit here and eat with Ryan...

"I have some news." And I was paying attention again, scolding myself for my thoughts. "Your mission to infiltrate our enemy's base will be postponed by...a little bit."

"How long is a little bit?" I asked. That mission was supposed to be next week. 

"A month."

"A month! Why?" I was protesting only because I had nothing else to do in the meantime. Though Ryan's company did quell my boredom, it wasn't enough. 

"We want them to think we aren't going to retaliate. We want them to think that we're hiding, that we don't think we're strong enough to deal with them."

"And what's to happen to the spies?"

"Simple: they will be executed. And you will be in charge of it."